Automated Meter Reading
In 2008, The Lincoln Water System completed a 10 year project to upgrade water meter reading capabilities. New Badger brand meters equipped with Itron radio read technology were installed, replacing the older meters. The new Automatic Meter Reading (AMR) technology allows the water meters to be read remotely with a radio transmitter.
A radio transceiver, called a Mobile Collector, is installed in a city utility vehicle to collect meter readings. A Meter Reader can now obtain water meter readings while driving through neighborhoods. One meter reader operating the Mobile Collector is able to read up to 6,000 water meters in one day. Prior to the AMR program, a Meter Reader walking a route would read 400 to 500 meters in one day.
By implementing the AMR program, the Lincoln Water System has been able to:
- Increase operational efficiencies by reading more meters in a shorter amount of time
- Eliminate the high operational costs associated with hard-to-read meters or skipped meter reads
- Improve customer satisfaction by eliminating intrusive meter reading visits (there are times when access into properties will be required to verify readings or to perform service work)
- Enhance the quality of billing data by eliminating manual data entry errors
- Improve employee and customer safety
All Lincoln Water Service employees have City identification badges and wear blue uniforms with LWS logos. Do not allow anyone in your home without an I.D. badge or LWS uniform. If you have any doubts, please call 441-5924.