HOUSEHOLD TOXICS REDUCTION RESOURCES & FEATURED LINKS
- EPA Safer Choice Program: Safer Choice helps consumers, businesses, and purchasers find products that perform well and are safer for human health and the environment.
- Earth911: More ideas and less waste! Great mix of targeted content, eco-conscious products and environmental actions to help you live a happier, healthier, and more sustainable lifestyle.
- National Library of Medicine’s Household Products Database: What's under your kitchen sink, in your garage, in your bathroom, and on the shelves in your laundry room? Learn more about what's in these products, about potential health effects, and about safety and handling.
- Hazard Free Home Handbook: A Guide to Hazard-Free Household Products and Effective Alternatives.
- Mercury Spill In Home: Link to this document for helpful guidance on cleanup.
- Nebraska Mercury Call Line: a number Nebraskans can call to obtain information regarding mercury issues, from health effects to cleaning up spills.
- Nebraska Regional Poison Center: Poison Prevention Education, Videos, etc.
- Needle & Syringe Disposal
- Medication Disposal
- Mercury Thermostat Disposal: find a place near you to recycle mercury-containing thermostats.
- Nebraska Product Stewardship Initiative or the Product Stewardship Institute - Interested in reducing the health, safety, and environmental impacts of consumer products across their lifecycle? Check out these local and national Product Stewardship efforts.
- Reduce Waste Webpage: Find more information about non-toxic cleaners here.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Household Hazardous Waste: Information on household hazardous waste.
- U.S. EPA Wastes: General information on solid waste, regulations, resource conservation and more.
- EPA Sustainable Materials Management: Sustainable Materials Management (SMM) is an approach to serving human needs by using/reusing resources most productively and sustainably throughout their life cycles, from the point of resource extraction through material disposal.
- Nebraska Household Hazardous Waste Sites: This household hazardous waste (HHW) directory is provided as a service to Nebraskans seeking disposal of outdated, unusable, or unwanted pesticides, and other types of HHW.
- Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA): The Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) is the public law that creates the framework for the proper management of hazardous and nonhazardous solid waste. Understanding hazardous vs. non-hazardous waste.
- National Geographic - Toxic Waste: article on the effects of toxic waste on the environment.
- Federal Emergency Management Association (FEMA): Link to a helpful Household Hazardous Materials Training for Citizens.