- May 1, 2012
- For More Information Contact:
- Renae Rief, Environmental Public Health, 402-441-4602
Environmental Leadership Awards Announced
The Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Department has announced the winners of the 2012 Lincoln-Lancaster County Environmental Leadership Awards. The public is invited to the awards ceremony and breakfast from 7:30 to 9:30 a.m. Friday, June 1 at the Nebraska Champions Club.
The awards recognize businesses, organizations and individuals who have demonstrated environmental leadership in sustaining and improving air, land and water quality and protecting public health. The recipients are:
- Business and Industry - Assurity Life Insurance Company and Sway Hairspa
- Agriculture - George Edgar and Gladys Jeurink
- Nonprofit Organization - Downtown Lincoln Association Maintenance Group
- Government - StarTran
- Education - Sueann Ahrens and Villa Marie Home and School
- Individuals - Matan Gill
Tickets for the breakfast are $15 each, and reservations are due by Friday, May 25. Reservation forms are available at lincoln.ne.gov (keyword: awards) or by calling 402-441-8023.
To be eligible for an award, winners must have been instrumental in identifying reducing, or solving an environmental problem or promoting public awareness and concern for the enhancement and protection of the environment. Winners also must have demonstrated active stewardship in one or more of the following environmental practices: pollution prevention/risk reduction; waste reduction and recycling; water conservation; soil conservation; energy conservation; and residential and commercial development.