- January 16, 2009
- For More Information Contact:
- Diane Gonzolas, Citizen Information Center, 441-7831
- Deb Weber, Lincoln Arts Council, 434-2787
NOMINATIONS NOW ACCEPTED FOR MAYOR'S ARTS AWARDS
Nominations are now being accepted for the 31st annual Mayor's Arts Awards. The awards will be presented by the
Lincoln Arts Council(LAC) in June at the Lied Center for Performing Arts. The Mayor's Arts Awards program formally
recognizes artistic contributions and achievements in the Lincoln area. Union Bank and Trust Company will again be
the presenting sponsor.
Nomination forms are available by calling the LAC at 434-2787 or printing a form from the LAC Web site:
www.artscene.org. A list of previous winners also is available at that Web
site. The nomination deadline is February 23, 2009.
The award categories are:
- The Arts Organization Award recognizes an arts group that has made significant contributions
to Lincoln's arts community over a period of years. (Sponsored by Runza)
- The Artistic Achievement Award - Visual Arts recognizes excellence and accomplishment in any
of the visual arts. (Sponsored by Bob and Marilyn Harris)
- The Artistic Achievement Award - Youth recognizes excellence and accomplishment in any arts
discipline by a young person age 18 or younger. (Sponsored by Lucy Buntain Comine)
- The Artistic Achievement Award - Performing Arts recognizes excellence and accomplishment in
any of the performing arts. (Sponsored by Farmers Mutual Insurance Company of Nebraska)
- The Gladys Lux Education Award recognizes special initiatives or dedication to arts education. (Sponsored by
the Gladys Lux Foundation)
- The Heart of the Arts Award recognizes an individual or organization for outstanding volunteer dedication to
the arts or for making a major overall impact on the arts in Lincoln. (Sponsored by Talent Plus)
- The Halcyon Allsman Benefactor of the Arts Award honors an individual, family, organization or business
making significant financial contributions to the arts in Lincoln. (Sponsored by Wells Fargo Bank)
- The Oliva "Arts for Kids" Award honors an individual from outside of the arts professions whose leadership
has enhanced arts activities and experiences for children. (Sponsored by the Oliva Family)
- The Literary Heritage Award recognizes a writer or individual who promotes excellence in writing and
literature in Nebraska. (Sponsored by the Nebraska Literary Heritage Association)
- The Larry Enersen Award recognizes outstanding urban design in Lincoln. (Sponsored by Clark Enersen Partners)
- The Mayor's Choice Award is sponsored by Cline, Williams, Wright, Johnson and Oldfather, L.L.P.
Nominations from the previous year are automatically resubmitted, and updates to the 2008 nominations will be
Except for the Literary Heritage, Larry Enersen and Mayor's Choice awards, honorees will be selected by a panel
of arts professionals.
The public also is encouraged to submit names of members of the Lincoln arts community who have died since the
last awards ceremony in June 2008 for memorial recognition at the event.