City of Lincoln
2012 Media Releases
- December 12, 2012
- For More Information Contact:
- Barbara Hansen, Lincoln City Libraries, 402-441-8512
Landmarks in Library Service to Be Celebrated
Lincoln City Libraries will celebrate three landmarks in library service the afternoon of Sunday, December 16, at the Bennett Martin Public Library, 136 S. 14th Street:
- The Bennett Martin Public Library has been serving Lincoln for 50 years. The library opened in December 1962 replacing "Old Main," the Carnegie building constructed in 1902. Former Mayor Bennett Martin and his wife Dorothy donated the funds to build the new library.
- The Polley Music Library on the second floor of Bennett Martin Public Library has been sharing music and information on a wide range of musical topics for 30 years. This privately funded service was established by a gift from Lillian Helms Polley and continues to be supported by a private trust and a newly established endowment with the Foundation for Lincoln City Libraries.
- The Nebraska Literary Heritage Association (NLHA) has been supporting the Jane Pope Geske Heritage Room of Nebraska Authors for 30 years. NLHA has been instrumental in raising funds and establishing the Heritage Room Endowment Fund, and continues to work with the Foundation for Lincoln City Libraries to assure the future support of the Heritage Room.
Sunday's celebration will honor the many volunteers and donors who have made these services possible. The event includes refreshments and the following programs:
- 2 to 3 p.m. - Cartoonist Neal Obermeyer will present a Gallery Talk in the reading room on the first floor. He will discuss "Campaigns and Cartoons: The Role of Caricature in Political Persuasion," a traveling exhibit on loan from The Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site.
- 3 to 3:30 p.m. - The Sarabande Trio will perform in the Polley Music Library on the second floor.
- 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Author Mike Babcock will discuss the book he wrote with Pat Williams, Tom Osborne on Leadership: Life Lessons from a Three-Time National Championship Coach, in the Heritage Room on the third floor.
More information on Lincoln City Libraries is available at lincolnlibraries.org.