City of Lincoln
2013 Media Releases
- January 10, 2013
- For More Information Contact:
- Deb Weber, Lincoln Arts Council, 402-434-2787
Nomination Deadline Extended for Mayor's Arts Awards
Nominations will be accepted until 5 p.m. Monday, January 28 for the 35th annual Mayor's Arts Awards. The awards will be presented by the Lincoln Arts Council (LAC) the evening of Wednesday June 12 at the Lied Center. The Mayor's Arts Awards program formally recognizes artistic contributions and achievements in the Lincoln area. Nomination forms are available by calling the LAC at 402-434-2787 or printing a form from the LAC website, www.artscene.org. A list of previous winners also is available at that website.
Winner in the following categories will be selected by a panel of arts professionals:
- The Arts Organization Award recognizes an arts group that has made significant contributions to Lincoln's arts community over a period of years.
- The Artistic Achievement Award - Visual Arts recognizes excellence and accomplishment in any of the visual arts, including theatre and film.
- The Artistic Achievement Award - Youth recognizes excellence and accomplishment in any arts discipline by a young person age 18 or younger.
- The Artistic Achievement Award - Performing Arts recognizes excellence and accomplishment in any of the performing arts, including film.
- The Gladys Lux Education Award recognizes special initiatives in or dedication to arts education and is endowed by the Gladys Lux Foundation.
- The Heart of the Arts Award recognizes an individual or organization for outstanding volunteer dedication to the arts or for making a major overall impact on the arts in Lincoln.
- The Outstanding Event Award recognizes a performance, exhibition or project in the previous year (2012) that will be notable in the community memory for years to come because of its content or cultural significance.
- The Halcyon Allsman Benefactor of the Arts Award honors an individual, family, organization or business making significant financial contributions to the arts.
- The "Arts for Kids" Award honors an individual from outside of the arts professions whose leadership has enhanced arts activities and experiences for children
Nominations from the previous year are automatically resubmitted, and updates to the 2012 nominations will be accepted. The public also is encouraged to submit names of members of the Lincoln arts community who have died since the last awards ceremony in June 2012 for memorial recognition at the event.