It is the policy of the Lincoln Police Department to utilize monitoring and recording technology for legitimate public safety purposes. We are committed to enhancing the quality of life of citizens within the community by integrating the best practices of safety and security with state-of-the-art-technology.
In December 2013, Lincoln's first public safety cameras were activated in downtown Lincoln. The camera system was installed for the purpose of deterring violent crime and gathering evidence of a crime. These cameras will be used within accepted legal and community practices regarding privacy in a professional and ethical manner. Public safety cameras are only one of the many tools and methods utilized by the Lincoln Police Department to enhance public safety.
Current Camera Locations14th & O Streets
Camera Placement and Operation Policies
- Public safety cameras are for use in public areas and city owned property.
- Cameras shall be placed where monitoring is a necessary and/or a viable deterrent.
- Cameras will not be used to monitor areas where people have a reasonable expectation of privacy (i.e. changing rooms, restrooms).
- Public safety cameras are not monitored continuously under normal operating conditions, but may be monitored as needed.
- Access to live or recorded footage from cameras shall be limited to authorized users.
- Camera functions shall not be used or operated in such a manner that violates a person's constitutional rights or discriminates against an individual for any reason.
- Cameras may not be used to try to identify individuals that are only exercising their First Amendment Rights.
- Recordings will be overwritten after 5 days unless footage is needed for an investigation, complaint or when the recording would likely be evidence in a legal action.