56th from Old Cheney to Shadow Pines Dr.
Updated March 19, 2015
The City of Lincoln has awarded the construction project for reconstruction of South 56th Street from Old Cheney Road to Shadow Pines Drive to Constructors, Inc. The roadway is designed as a 4-lane paved section with turn lanes and a raised median.
- Right and left turn lanes will be built at London Road and Waltz Road, and these intersections will be designed to accommodate future traffic signals when warranted.
- Right and left turn lanes will also be built at Shadow Pines Drive.
- A new drainage structure will be built at Beal Slough.
- A pedestrian under-crossing will be built as part of the Beal Slough drainage structure.
- Ordinance changes were brought back before the City Council which were approved in the fall of 2005 and the construction of medians were approved.
Map of Project Area (56 K)
Construction is scheduled to begin on Monday, April 20, 2015, weather permitting. One lane of traffic in each direction is anticipated to be open mid-November 2015, assuming no delays due to weather or unforeseen conditions. The project is scheduled for final completion by the end of June 2016.
So. 56th Street between Old Cheney and Pine Lake Road will be closed to through traffic, but will remain open to local businesses and residents along So. 56th Street. Traffic will be detoured along Old Cheney west to So. 40th Street, south to Pine Lake Road, then east to So. 56th Street.
Trees have been removed in order to comply with the Federal Migratory Bird Act. The remaining stumps will be cleared by the roadway Contractor.
Pre-construction Open House
- Monday April 6, 2015
- 6:15 to 7:30 p.m.
- Humann Elementary School
- 6720 Rockwood Lane
- This meeting will give the public an opportunity to meet with construction personnel, review the project, and ask questions. The meeting room is accessible for persons with disabilities. Those requiring additional special accommodations are asked to contact Kris Humphrey, City Engineering Services, at 402-326-1176.
- Wednesday, June 6, 2012
- 5:00 to 6:30 p.m.
- Humann Elementary School, multi-purpose room
- 6720 Rockwood Lane
If you have questions or comments regarding the project, please contact one of the following people: