56th from Old Cheney to Shadow Pines Dr.
The City of Lincoln has selected E&A Consulting Group, Inc. to perform engineering services for design of the reconstruction of South 56th Street from Old Cheney Road to Shadow Pines Drive. The roadway will be designed as a 4-lane paved section with turn lanes and a raised median.
- Right and left turn lanes will be built at London Road and Waltz Road, and these intersections will be designed to accommodate future traffic signals when warranted.
- Right and left turn lanes will also be built at Shadow Pines Drive.
- A new drainage structure will be built at Beal Slough.
- A pedestrian under-crossing will be built as part of the Beal Slough drainage structure.
- Ordinance changes were brought back before the City Council which were approved in the fall of 2005 and the construction of medians were approved.
Map of Project Area (56 K)
The project is currently in the final review stage and the environmental document has been approved. Right-of-way is currently being acquired and is expected to be completed in early 2015. Once all right-of-way is acquired the project will be advertised for bidding by Contractors. Construction is tentatively scheduled to begin in spring 2015 and completed by summer 2016. In order to comply with federal regulations, trees will be removed prior to heavy construction to avoid nesting birds.
Public Open House
A public open house will be scheduled after the project has been awarded to a Contractor. This meeting will give the public an opportunity to meet with construction personnel, review the project, and ask questions.
- Wednesday, June 6, 2012
- 5:00 to 6:30 p.m.
- Humann Elementary School, multi-purpose room
- 6720 Rockwood Lane
For More Information
If you have specific questions about this project or would like to see the design plans, please contact Kris Humphrey with the City of Lincoln Engineering Services at 402-441-7711.