Bluff Road Landfill Development, Closure and Infrastructure Projects
The Solid Waste Operations Division is constructing multiple planned projects as part of the continuous development, closure and infrastructure projects necessary at the Bluff Road Landfill. The Bluff Road Landfill provides safe disposal for municipal solid wastes generated in the City of Lincoln and Lancaster County. The following projects are anticipated:
- Bulk Excavation;
- Phase 12 Liner;
- Access Road Paving;
- Landfill Gas Collection System Expansion; and,
The overall development of the landfill site includes 16 phases of liner (View Phasing Plan). Phase 12 Liner (landfill development) is composed of clay and synthetic liner components, a granular drainage layer and leachate collection piping. The expansion of the existing Landfill Gas Collection System is necessary for regulatory compliance and will also provide more gas for the generation of electricity. The Access Road Paving (landfill infrastructure) provides safe access in all weather conditions to the approximately 325 refuse vehicle trips per day.
- Bulk Excavation – excavation of approximately 300,000 cubic yards of soil, removal and replacement of 110,000 cubic yards of soils unsuitable for providing the foundation necessary to support the weight of waste after a liner is constructed, and placement of 90,000 cubic yards of soil embankment necessary to build the paved access road at the proper width and elevation.
- Phase 12 Liner – construction of a liner and leachate collection system over 12 acres contiguous to current lined areas to provide disposal capacity.
- Access Road Paving – paving of approximately 4,400 linear feet of the existing rock surfaced roadway. Refuse vehicles will access the active areas of the landfill for the remaining life of the landfill via this paved road.
- Landfill Gas Collection System Expansion – installation of additional collection wells and piping over a 55 acre area to meet the regulatory requirements of the Clean Air Act.
Estimated Project Completions
- Bulk Excavation
- April 2014
- Phase 12 Liner
- June 2014
- Access Road Paving
- May 2014
- Landfill Gas Collection System Expansion
- May 2014
City Project Manager
Superintendent of Solid Waste Operations
Phone: (402) 441-7867
John Dempsey/Greg Shafer
HDR Engineering, Inc.
Phone: (402) 399-1000
Bulk Excavation – Specification #13-328
Construction Contractors Equipment, Inc.
Phone: (402) 476-1711
Phase 12 Liner – Specification #14-021
JJ Westhoff Construction Company
Access Road Paving – Specification #14-022
Landfill Gas Collection System Expansion – Specification #14-066
Contractor To Be Determined