Skip to Main Menu Skip to Content
InterLinc Home Page
lincoln.ne.gov
City of Lincoln
Recycling Operations

Computer Recycling


Computer Recycling

It's great to get the a new computer with the latest bells and whistles, but what do you do with the old stuff? It's a common question. Most families replace their home computers every three to five years. Businesses keep them around only about two years. That makes old computers and other electronic devices the fastest growing segment of what we throw away. Studies show that more than 315 million desktop and laptop computers will become obsolete in the U.S. in the next few years — that's roughly one computer for every American.

Computers commonly contain more than a dozen metals. The good news is that some of those metals — like platinum, silver and gold — can be very valuable when they are recycled. One metric ton of circuit boards and other electronic computer scrap contains more gold than 17 tons of gold ore!

The bad news is that computers also contain high amounts of lead, mercury, cadmium and other metals that can be hazardous. Those 315 million computers we'll be throwing away contain 1.2 billion pounds of lead. Hazardous metal pose a threat to humans, animals and plants, and that makes computer disposal a global health and environmental concern.

In Lincoln, businesses are not allowed to dispose of their computer equipment in the landfill. Information on how businesses can donate or recycle their computers is included on this page.

Households, however, are exempt from these regulations. So what do families do with those old relics? About 25 percent go directly to the landfill. The other 75 percent are stored by their owners because they are perceived to have some value. Many of those are eventually thrown out as well.

Donate or Recycle Unwanted Computers

What should we do with all the computers we don't want anymore?

  • Extend the life of your computers by upgrading systems instead of replacing them;
  • Donate working electronics to local organizations to save money, save valuable resources, and help others in the community.
  • Safely recycle outdated computers and peripherals to promote the safe management of hazardous components and support the recovery and reuse of valuable materials.

Local Recycling & Disposal

Fees and restrictions may apply. Please call before dropping off materials.

123 System Solutions
17 Gateway Mall • 402-464-5556
Best Buy
6919 "O" St. • 402-473-2099
Goodwill Locations
4555 Vine St. • 402-466-3223
1700 S. 17th St. • 402-438-1109
5500 South 56th St., #3 • 402-421-2669
3910 N 27th St. • 402-465-4663
1731 O St. • 402-477-7216
5745 "O" St. • 402-486-4939
Office Depot
333 N. 50 St. • 402-466-3443
6333 Apple Way, Ste. 111 • 402-420-2777
Secure Recyclers***
1060 N. 33rd St. • 402-805-0065
Schrock Innovations
2801 Pine Lake Rd. • 402-423-9595
Scrapy's
7701 Cornhusker Hwy. • 402-217-9095
(towers only)
Staples
4940 "O" St. • 402-467-1118
Star City Recycling
402-890-4320

National Recycling and Disposal Options

  • Some computer manufacturers offer mail-in recycling options for computers — Hewlett Packard, Dell, IBM, Gateway, and Apple provide options for a fee. Check their websites.
  • Check out Earth911.org Remote Site to search by city or state for places to recycle or donate.

Recycling Operations