From 2009 to 2014, local artists were challenged to creatively paint rain barrels to celebrate the importance of water quality. Artists were selected based on their applications addressing a yearly theme. Teachers were encouraged to use this activity as a teaching tool in their classroom. Each year, 25 artists were selected and had five weeks to paint and return their barrels. During the month of April, the barrels were put on display with interpretative signage, and later the barrels were sold, with proceeds supporting environmental education programs.
2009 Artistic Rain Barrel Program
March and April 2009
Lincoln businesses and libraries
Final week at the Pioneers Park Nature Center
April 18, 2009
Pioneers Park Nature Marke
Friends of Pioneers Park Nature Center, scholarships to Adventure and Extreme Nature Camp
- Amanda Anderson "Community Water"
- Chris Boyd "Don't Be a Duck Out of Water"
- Sarah Dale-Piersol, Gere Library Teen Advisory Board "Rain, Rain Don't Go Away!"
- Gina Egenberger "Songs for Niah"
- Catherine Griesen "A Round Lincoln: These are a Few of My Favorite Things"
- Katherine Herrick "The Sacrifice"
- Carol Devall "Hollyhocks and Aliens"
- Cindy F. Hochstetler "Colorful Pinwheels"
- Greg Holdren, Friend Public Schools "Aquatic Homes"
- Joel Johnson "Blazing Barrel"
- Guild of Natural Science Illustrators "Platte River"
- Carrie Masters "Robot Luv: Water Conservation is Automatic"
- The Lincoln Southwest HS Art Club, sponsored by Melissa Mordy "Conserve Water, Preserve Life"
- Albert Maxey "Silverback – King of the Jungle"
- Jim Mehsling "Inspired by Wind in the Willows"
- Diane Ogden "Africa"
- Arnold Elementary School Studio Art CLC "Wishing for a Greener Lincoln"
- Carla Otredosky "Groundwater, Our Hidden Treasure"
- Mickle Middle School Native American Caucus "Mni Wakan"
- Carol Rustad "Prairie Sunset"
- Michael S. Salerno "Wakinyan and the Heyoka"
- Liz Shea-McCoy "Nature's Elegance"
- Hartley Elementary Art Club CLC/ Haydon Art Center "Summertime Fiesta"
- Marco A. Valladares "It's a Colorful Life"
- Ann Williams "Life Source"