The 2010 Artistic Rain Barrel program and display period concluded on April, 17, 2010.
The Friends of Pioneers Park Nature Center and the City of Lincoln Watershed Management Division joined forces for an Artistic Rain Barrel program.
This year, we invited artists to creatively paint rain barrels, as part of a fun way to educate the community on the benefits of using rain barrels to improve water quality. Potential artists were required to submit a short summary of their intended design for a rain barrel. The Friends of Pioneers Park chose artists based on these descriptions. Teachers who applied for their class were required to submit a short description of how they would use the rain barrel as a teaching tool in their classroom for consideration. In total, 25 artists and teachers were selected for this year's program.
After the close of the application period on February 1, 2010, a total of 25 artists were selected to paint rain barrels. The selected artists had four weeks to paint and return their barrels.
Artistic Rain Barrels were on display around Lincoln March 8, 2010 - April 16, 2010 at local businesses and libraries, spending the last week at the Nature Center.
On April 17, 2010 the 25 Artistic Rain Barrels were auctioned off at the Pioneers Park Nature Market. From 9:30-11:00 a.m. Guests at the market competitively bid on the barrels, raising a total of $7,120.85 (a 33.5% increase from 2009) for the Friends of Pioneers Park Nature Center, who will use the fund to provide children with scholarships to Adventure and Extreme Nature Camp. The average bid was around $285 per barrel. In other words, the 2010 Artistic Rain Barrel Program was a huge success!
Thank you for your support!
2010 Artists and Display Locations
For more information, please contact
- Ellen Wright
- Environmental Health Educator
- News Articles
- News Release - "Nature's Market" Set for April 17 at Pioneers Park Nature Center (4/9/10)
- Journal Star, New artistic rain barrels unveiled (3/8/10)
- News Release - Artistic Rain Barrel Display Starts Monday (3/5/10)
- News Release - Deadline Extended for Artists to Apply for Rain Barrel Project (1/21/10)
- News Release - More Artists Needed for Rain Barrel Art Project (1/11/10)
- News Release - Artists Needed for Rain Barrel Art Project (12/4/09)
- History of the Artistic Rain Barrel Program