August 21, 2001
The goal of the Mayor's Floodplain Task Force is to formulate recommendations regarding the development of permanent floodplain standards that address the natural functions of floodplains and reduction of future flooding hazards in Lincoln and Lancaster County, while being sensitive to business, environmental and neighborhood interests and recognizing the need to sustain long-term economic development opportunities. The Task Force is expected to:
- Utilize the information from the Corps of Engineers (COE) floodplain study;
- Identify other floodplain management alternatives that should be considered that are not part of the COE technical study;
- Evaluate and make recommendations regarding policy issues relative to floodplains;
- Make recommendations for additional cost analysis or other evaluation needed relative to the impact of alternatives on private development costs, public infrastructure costs, or natural resources;
- Utilize all the information to make final recommendations to the Mayor, and, if applicable, to the Lancaster County Board regarding revised floodplain policies and standards for the City and County.
The Task Force will work closely with staff from the City and the Lower Platte South Natural Resources District (NRD), who will provide support and guidance. Additional technical or facilitation resources from other sources or agencies will be sought by the City or NRD as needed.