Desktop Alert Help and FAQ
- Q: Who can I contact if I am having trouble installing or some other technical issue?
- A: Send e-mail to email@example.com.
Make sure to include a detailed description of the problem you are having and
your contact information so we can respond to your issue.
- Q: What is InterLinc Alert Desktop Application?
- A: InterLinc Alert is a totally free, real-time weather and news
headline application that resides on your desktop and keeps you posted on local
current conditions, weather alerts, breaking news and news content. It provides
animated national radar images that can be zoomed in and out.
With InterLinc Alert you get immediate notification of weather warnings from
the National Weather Service for Lancaster County. You will be informed of the
latest breaking news. You get the local temperature, wind speed, wind direction,
barometric pressure, humidity, and dew point from the from the reporting station
in your area.
- Q: Can I choose the location from which I get my current conditions, such as temperature?
- A: Currently, users may only select to receive data from the Lincoln
- Q: How often are weather conditions updated?
- A: Conditions such as temperature, wind, etc. are normally updated by
the reporting station once every hour. On some occasions a report may not be issued
by the station every hour in which case the temperature will remain the same until
that reporting station provides an updated report.
Warnings are issued immediately after release by the National Weather Service.
- Q: What are the system requirements for installing InterLinc Alert?
- Windows 95 SP1/98/ME/Win 2000/NT4 SP6/XP.
- 200 MHz Intel Pentium II processor or greater
- Internet Connection
- 6 MB hard disk space.
- 32 MB RAM
- Q: How large is the download for InterLinc Alert?
- A: The first download is about 50 KB for the Weather Installer.
The second download for the InterLinc Alert application is about 3 MB in size.
- Q: How do I install InterLinc Alert?
- A: To install the InterLinc Alert application simply
Click Here and fill out the registration form.
Submit the registration form and download the application to your desktop
or other location you can remember. Once downloaded the installation should
begin, if not, double click on the downloaded install file (Weather-Install.exe).
The installation software will guide you as you install the application on your desktop.
Estimated installation/download times:
- Cable Modem/DSL/T1 - 2 to 4 minutes
- 56k Modem - 9 to 12 minutes
- 28.8 Modem - 14 to 18 minutes
- Q: Why is the temperature in the Current Conditions display is wrong?
- A: The InterLinc Alert requires that you be connected to the
Internet. It does not require the use of a Web browser or email program but
the connection to the Internet must be made. Users with dial-up modems may
want to stop and start the application as they use the Internet on their
computer for current information.
- Q: How much of my Windows system resources will be used?
- A: The InterLinc Alert application will use approximately
12 MB of your system memory.
- Q: What do I do if I have problems with InterLinc Alert?
- A: Simply click on the Menu button in the InterLinc Alert
Current Conditions window and select Technical Support. Fill in the e-mail
with your problem and someone will get back in touch with you as soon as
possible. If you have problems before you complete your installation, simply
Click Here to send an email to
- Q: I'm running Windows 95 and I am getting the error message WS2_32.DDL not found.
- A: It sounds like you are missing an operating system update from
Microsoft. Try the following link:
Windows 95 - Socket 2 Update
After downloading/running the update, re-download and install the
weather application without deleting anything. If that doesn't work for
you delete/remove all of the previously downloaded components (i.e.
installation programs and/or icons) then re-download.
Also, be sure to click on "Save" and not "Open". Terminologies (i.e.
"Open" and "Save") may vary from browser to browser...choose the latter
of the two.
Dial-Up Modem Set-up Information
If you connect to the internet over your phone line (56k or less speed modem)
and have your computer set to dial-up your ISP automatically when you start
your web browser, then you may want to configure the InterLinc Alert Desktop
Application in the following way.
By default, the InterLinc Alert
Desktop Application launches every time you start your computer. This is a
great benefit for those users with fulltime, always-on connections. But,
it can cause unexpected dial-ups with modem users, especially when starting
To keep this from occurring, do the following:
- 1. While the InterLinc Alert Desktop Application is
operating and maximized, click on the Menu button.
- 2. Choose Options from the Application Preferences
area of the menu.
- 3. Uncheck the "Launch with Windows" checkbox.
NOTE: The exact location of
this checkbox may change in the Options window as new versions of the
application are released.
- 4. Click the OK button
Each time you wish to run the InterLinc Alert Desktop Application, you will have
to start it manually from the Desktop shortcut or from your Start: Programs menu.