If your pipes freeze, your best course of action is to call a licensed master plumber. Improper thawing could cause your pipes to burst. There are, however, some procedures that you can follow to try to thaw them. The more quickly the problem is recognized, the better the chances are that damage will be minimized. Some techniques for thawing frozen pipes include:
- If possible, expose a boxed-in area to the inside heat.
- Use a heat gun. However, be extremely careful as the heat from the heat gun will ignite any wood or paper it contacts.
- DO NOT use torches to thaw pipes!
- Rubbing the pipes with warm, damp rags may slowly thaw the line.
- If you do not have water for an extended period of time, special attention should be given to water heaters and boilers.