Civil Rights Conference Awards
Gerald Henderson Human Rights Award
2014 Winner — Amir Azimi
In 2000, LCHR established an annual Human Rights award to recognize outstanding achievements in furthering human relations in the City of Lincoln. In 2003 the award was renamed the Gerald Henderson Human Rights award in order to remember and honor the first director of LCHR and a long-standing civil rights activist. Nominees for this award are judged based on their achievements in improving human rights based on activities implemented, services performed, or programs operated in the City of Lincoln.
Previous winners of this award include Kit Boesch, Annie and Leroy Stokes, the late Dan Williams of Citizens Against Racism and Discrimination, Cecilia Olivarez Huerta of the Mexican American Commission, Jose Soto and the Division of Affirmative Action, Equity and Diversity of Southeast Community College, Milo Mumgaard of Nebraska Appleseed Center for Law in the Public Interest, Florine Joseph of the Lincoln Action Program, and Beatty Brasch of the Center for People in Need.
Fair Housing Award
A highlight of the Fair Housing Conference is the annual Fair Housing Award which is awarded to a person, organization or formalized group who has made significant contributions to providing equal opportunity in the field of housing. Someone whose achievements have given new meaning to 'fair housing'. This may be:
- A demonstrated commitment to fair housing activities.
- The use of new and creative means to fight housing discrimination, prejudice and the effects of past housing discrimination.
- The fostering of intergroup relations by promoting mutual respect, understanding, cultural awareness and appreciation in business, education, government, religion and other areas of civic endeavor.
- A selection committee composed of housing providers and conference partners will determine the awardee based upon a numerical rating process.
- 2014 Seanna Collins
- 2013 Colleen Floth
- 2012 CenterPointe Housing
- 2011 Larry Williams
- 2010 Jill Fenner, Fair Housing Center of Nebraska
- 2009 Apartment Guide, Michelle Zadine
- 2008 The Arter Group, Jim & Mark Arter
- 2007 High Plains Community Development Group
- 2005 Kristine Strand, Cedars Youth Service
- 2004 Nebraska REALTOR© Association, Liz Bruce & Doug Rotthaus
- 2003 Gerald Henderson
- 2002 Fair Housing Center of Omaha, Mary Eley