InterLinc Home Page
City of Lincoln
City of Lincoln
Mayor's Office

2013 Media Releases

May 9, 2013
For More Information Contact:
Dan N. King, Environmental Health Specialist, 402-441-8084

Household Hazardous Waste Collection Scheduled for Saturday May 18

Lincoln and Lancaster County residents can dispose of unwanted chemicals by bringing them to a household hazardous waste collection from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, May 18 at Zoetis (formerly Pfizer), N.W. 4th St. and Cornhusker Highway. This event is sponsored by the Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Department and is for households only. Business waste will not be accepted.

Accepted items include pesticides, paint thinners, stains, polishes and waxes, turpentine, oil based paint, pool cleaning chemicals, flea and tick powders, rodent poison, charcoal starter fluids, mixed or old gasoline, items containing mercury, upholstery cleaners, CFLs, grease removers and brake or power steering fluids. A complete list of accepted items is available at (keyword: household).

Items that will not be accepted at the collection, including latex paint, motor oil, gas grill cylinders, pharmaceutical waste, electronics and batteries. For information on recycling these and other materials check the "Guide to Recycling" at (keyword: recycle).

In conjunction with this collection, residents can participate in a Usable Latex Paint Exchange at EcoStores Nebraska, 530 West "P" St., from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, May 18.

Households (not businesses) can donate paint in cans without rust or leaks. Anyone can take free latex paint from the exchange: homeowners, landlords, churches, schools, child care facilities, organizations and businesses. Donated paint cans must be at least half-full with intact, readable labels. The paint cannot be lumpy when stirred, and should not have been frozen. EcoStores will dispose of non-usable paint for $2 per can. For more information, contact EcoStores at 402-477-3606.

Residents can also dispose of latex paint by drying it with cat litter, shredded newspaper or waste paint hardener. Dry paint can be disposed of in regular trash with the lid removed.

Household Hazardous Waste Collections are partially funded by a grant from the Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality.

Mayor's Office
Media Releases