Highway 2 at South 27th and South 48th Streets Railroad Crossing Repair Project
The City of Lincoln, the Railroad Transportation Safety District (RTSD) and BNSF Railway are coordinating efforts to replace the railroad crossings along Highway 2 at South 27th Street and South 48th Street. The rail crossings and the adjacent pavement have deteriorated, and repairs are necessary to improve the safety and reliability of the tracks and the condition and longevity of the crossing.
BNSF is upgrading the tracks and replacing concrete panels between the rails at both the South 27th and South 48th street crossings.
The City’s Contractor, MTZ Construction, will repair the pavement leading up to the crossing on South 27th Street. The Contractor will also repair a number of storm drain inlets, median surfacing, and areas of sidewalk.
The City’s Maintenance Operations will work on priority pavement repairs in the roadway on South 27th Street
Work will be completed at the South 48th Street crossing first before work begins on the South 27th Street crossing.
During the railroad crossing repairs, each of the streets will be closed to through traffic
- South 48th Street July 29 – 31, 2019
- South 27th Street August 1 – 12, 2019
BNSF Railway will begin work at the South 48th Street crossing on July 29, 2019, and the following schedule of work activities is anticipated:
- July 29, 2019
- BNSF will close South 48th Street between Highway 2 and Old Cheney Road, and will mobilize equipment and materials onsite
- July 30-31, 2019
- BNSF will complete the crossing on South 48th Street
- August 1, 2019
- South 48th Street is expected to be reopen to through traffic
- BNSF and the City will close South 27th Street between Highway 2 and Old Cheney Road, and will mobilize equipment and materials onsite
- August 2-3, 2019
- BNSF will complete the crossing on South 27th Street
- August 3-12, 2019
- MTZ Construction will complete replacement of the pavement on South 27th Street
- City Maintenance Operations will complete pavement repairs on South 27th Street
- August 16, 2019 Open August 12, 2019 – Four Days Early
- South 27th Street is expected to be reopen to through traffic
Access During Construction
Work will be performed at each of the crossings under total road closures. Local access to businesses and residences will be maintained.
The Tierra Williamsburg Trail will be closed during work on the South 27th Street crossing. The Rock Island Trail will remain open and can be accessed at Essex Road from Tipperary Trail, just west of South 27th Street.
Randy Saathoff, Construction Project Manager
City of Lincoln, LTU Project Delivery
Roger Figard, Executive Director
Lincoln/Lancaster Railroad Transportation Safety District
Mike McCullough, Project Manager
MTZ Construction, LLC