Waste Reduction & Recycling Assistance Program
A goal to reduce the per capita amount of waste disposed in landfills by 30% by 2040 over 2011 was established by a 20-member Citizen Advisory Committee in the development of the Solid Waste Management Plan 2040. Businesses, including industries, institutions and multi-family apartment complexes, can help achieve this goal by enhancing or establishing recycling and composting programs.
Who is eligible?
The program is available to any Lancaster County business or non-profit organization that requests assistance in establishing a recycling or composting program and/or completes the application.
What type of assistance is available?
- We can visit your site to review your current waste management system, then make suggestions to improve your current program or start a new recycling or composting program.
- You can consult our experts to find ways to overcome your specific recycling and composting barriers.
- Our staff will assist with program implementation and education of your staff, customers or renters.
How can we use the rebate?
A maximum $750 rebate is available to cover:
- 50% of recycling program start-up costs
- The first six months of recycling collection services
- Purchase of recycling containers
- Retrofitting janitorial carts
- Capital improvements such as installing a concrete pad for recycling containers
- Waste composition assessment by a third party
- Development of educational materials
- Monthly costs for recycling or compostable material collection
How will we be recognized for our recycling efforts?
There are four different levels of recycling recognition that organizations can earn: Bronze, Silver, Gold and Zero Waste. All WRRAP members are also eligible for a Role Model Business profile that will be featured on the City website and social media accounts.
How do we apply?
- Review the Business Recycling Service Rebate Application. Identify recycling and/or composting services you are expanding or plan to start.
- Contact the Solid Waste Management Division at 402-326-7431 to confirm eligibility and finalize application.