- January 11, 2007
- For More Information Contact:
- Diane Gonzolas, Citizen Information Center, 441-7831
- Deb Weber, Lincoln Arts Council, 434-2787
NOMINATIONS NOW ACCEPTED FOR ARTS AWARDS
Nominations are now being accepted for the 29th annual Mayor’s Arts Awards. The awards will
be presented by the Lincoln Arts Council (LAC) the evening of Wednesday, June 6, 2007
at the Lied Center for Performing Arts.
The Mayor’s Arts Awards program formally recognizes artistic contributions and
achievements in the Lincoln area. Those wishing to nominate a project, organization
or person may request a nomination form by calling the LAC at 434-2787 or print a
form from the LAC Web site: www.artscene.org.
A list of previous winners is also available at that Web site. The nomination deadline
is February 16, 2007.
The award categories are:
- The Oliva “Arts for Kids” Award honors an individual from outside of the arts
professions whose leadership has enhanced arts activities and experiences for children.
- The Artistic Achievement Award - Performing Arts recognizes excellence and
accomplishment in any of the performing arts.
- The Artistic Achievement Award - Visual Arts recognizes excellence and
accomplishment in any of the visual arts.
- The Artistic Achievement Award - Youth recognizes excellence and accomplishment
in any arts discipline by a young person age 18 or younger.
- The Halcyon Allsman Benefactor of the Arts Award honors an individual, family,
organization or business making significant financial contributions to the arts in Lincoln.
- The Arts Organization Award recognizes an arts group that has made significant
contributions to Lincoln’s arts community over a period of years.
- The Leadership Award recognizes an individual or organization for making a
major overall impact on the arts in Lincoln.
- The Cultural Celebration Award recognizes artistic work that has fostered an
appreciation of a specific culture or cultures through the arts.
- The Literary Heritage Award recognizes a writer or individual who promotes
excellence in writing and literature in Nebraska.
- The Larry Enersen Award recognizes outstanding urban design in Lincoln.
- The Heart of the Arts Award recognizes outstanding volunteer efforts on behalf of the arts.
- The Event of the Year Award recognizes a performance, exhibition, event or project in 2006
that will be notable in the community memory for years to come.
- The Gladys Lux Education Award recognizes special initiatives or dedication to arts education.
A Mayor’s Choice Award will also be presented.
The year’s award will be created by bead artist Marcia Laging-Cummings, who won
the 2006 Mayor’s Arts Award for Artistic Achievement - Visual Arts.
The public also is encouraged to submit names of members of the Lincoln arts
community who have died since the last awards ceremony in June 2006 for memorial
recognition at the event.