City of Lincoln
2017 Media Releases
- February 7, 2017
- For More Information Contact:
- Jodene Glaesemann, Walt Branch Supervisor, 402-441-4462
- Lisa Olivigni, Bookmobile, Eiseley and Williams Branch Supervisor, 402-441-4252
Libraries Host Free Maker Space Events in February
Lincoln City Libraries (LCL) invites the public to February Maker Space events at two locations: Walt Branch, 6701 S. 14th Street, and Williams Branch, 5000 Mike Scholl Street. The free events showcase new traveling kits of tools and projects designed to inspire young people to create in an innovative and collaborative way. The following LINC-In@LCL "Learn, Innovate, eNgineer and Create" events are scheduled:
- Meet the Bots: Williams Branch, Saturday, February 11, 1 to 3 p.m.
- This event for families with children of all ages features Dash and Dot robots, Ozobots, and Makey Makey kits.
- Learn to Applique: Walt Branch, Sunday, February 12, 1 to 5 p.m. and Saturday, February 18, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Adults and high school-age youth will learn the sewing technique of applique by creating a seasonal banner in this hands-on workshop. Participants may bring a sewing machine or reserve one from the library's Maker space, and the supply list is available at Walt. Space is limited, and registration is required by calling 402-441-4460.
- Get Creative with Paper: Walt Branch, Monday, February 13, 6 p.m.
- Participants can create an art journal page, paper vase, paper recycled flowers, Valentine's Day gifts and other items.
- My Art Belongs to You: Williams Branch, Tuesday, February 14, 4 to 5:30 p.m.
- Families with children of all ages are invited to experience art with a Far-Eastern flair, including calligraphy, Zentangle and crafts inspired by the Lunar New Year.
- Robot Dance Off: Walt Branch, Saturday, February 25, 12:30 p.m.
- Kindergarteners through sixth graders will work in small teams using Ozoblockly coding software. Participants will practice coding and then write a dance routine for their Ozobot. Seating is limited, and registration is required by calling 402-441-4460.
- Builder Bash: Williams Branch, Monday, February 27, 4 to 5:30 p.m.
- Families with children of all ages will tackle a building challenge or create something new with Zoobs, Legos and Connectagons.
- Program Ev3rstorm: Walt Branch, Tuesday, February 21, 6:30 p.m. and Monday, February 27, 6:30 p.m.
- Elementary and middle school students will learn how to write basic code in EV3 that will guide the EV3rstorm. Seating is limited, and registration is required by calling 402-441-4460.
For more information about Maker Spaces and Lincoln City Libraries, visit lincolnlibraries.org.