City of Lincoln
2018 Media Releases
- November 14, 2018
- For More Information Contact:
- Holley Salmi, Communications and Public Affairs, 402-441-7537
Lincoln to Celebrate America Recycles Day
The City and local recyclers will celebrate America Recycles Day Thursday, November 15 with several events beginning this week. America Recycles Day is a nationally-recognized opportunity to promote recycling and celebrate its benefits. The following events are scheduled:
Thursday, November 15
- Hofeling Enterprises, 2200 Folsom Court, will accept residential tree limbs and untreated lumber at no charge from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The debris will be ground up and reused as landscape mulch for area homes and businesses.
- The Eastridge Parent/Teacher Organization's 6th Annual Holiday Lights Recycling Drive will run through January 8. (The drive is extended to January 14 only at Eastridge Elementary, 6245 "L" St.) Working and non-working lights can be dropped off at over 50 locations. Visit eastridge.lps.org (select Announcements tab) for locations. Ten percent of the funds raised will be donated to the Lincoln Firefighters Operation Warm.
- The scrap metal drive to raise funds for the Lincoln Public Schools (LPS) recycling program begins at Sadoff Iron and Metal Company, 4400 W. Webster St., and Alter Metal Recycling, 6100 N. 70th St. The drive runs through Earth Day, April 22, 2019. All types of scrap metal will be accepted, including aluminum and tin cans, pots and pans, appliances, wiring, sinks, bathtubs and electric motors. Residents should notify vendors regarding the amount of recycling revenue that is to be donated to LPS. Funds will help LPS replace worn out steel recycling containers. The old containers will be recycled and replaced with containers manufactured from recycled steel, closing the recycling loop.
- American Recycling, 5001 South 16th St., will accept small appliances at no charge. All electronics are accepted, including microwaves, small refrigerators, toasters and coffee makers. Disposal fees will apply for televisions, tube-style computer monitors and large standalone copiers. Large appliances will be accepted at a discounted rate.
Saturday, November 17
- Lincoln's Hazardous Waste Center, 5101 N. 48th St., will accept items by appointment only from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Call 402-441-8021 or visit Haztogo.com to schedule an appointment and see the full lists of acceptable and unacceptable items. Appointments can also be made every first Wednesday and third Saturday of the month.
More information on recycling services in Lincoln and Lancaster County is available at recycle.lincoln.ne.gov or by calling the recycling hotline at 402-441-8215. For more information on America Recycles Day, visit lincoln.ne.gov (keyword: ard).