Each year about a million “treks” happen on Lincoln’s trails. With over 131 miles of hard surface and crushed rock trails, you can get just about anywhere you want to go using both on and off street routes. There are also several miles of hiker/biker trails within our parks making our system top notch. Whether you ride, run, jump or skip, using Lincoln’s trails are the perfect way to stay fit and save gas!
For additional information and resources about biking in Lincoln and surrounding trails, visit Bike Lincoln
We are always making improvements to our trails system. Check back often for updates on our current and future projects.
Current projects include:
- Stonebridge Trail: This trail will provide a connection with the Stonebridge development north of I-80 between Humphrey and Alvo Rd. and east of 14th. When complete, the trail will provide a connection from 14th and Humphrey and the Alvo Rd. Trail west of 14th Streets. It will also connect Schoo Middle School in Fallbrook with Koozer Elementary near Stonebridge. It is expected this trail will be under construction the summer of 2016.
- Jamaica North Trail: This project has been completed making a connection between Calvert Blvd. and 4th and “A” Street. This connection adds 1.49 miles of trail to the network. This connection completes the trail between downtown Lincoln and Beatrice beginning at 4th and “A” and proceeding south to the Homestead Trail that connects with Beatrice. A final connection is expected to be made in the next few years with the Arena Trail and “N” Street Protected Bikeway. A dedication of the completion will be held on Friday, May 8, 2015 at 5:00 PM. The ceremony will be held under the Van Dorn Overpass south of Park Blvd.
- Cavett Connector Trail & Tierra/Williamsburg Trail:We are proceeding with final design of the Cavett Connector Trail that will connect the Tierra/Williamsburg trail where currently ends at San Mateo Dr. and will proceed south adjacent to Cavett Elementary School and through the neighborhood eventually connecting with the Yankee Hill Trail near 34th and Yankee Hill. This project is in the ROW phase.
- Billy Wolff Trail: We have received funding to make improvements to the Billy Wolff Trail beginning with the ramp on the west side of 27th and then proceeding west to the bridge that was installed a couple of years ago connecting the Billy Wolff Trail with the Antelope Valley Trail. The current ramp and trail will be removed and replaced with a 10 feet wide, concrete wide trail. This project is expected to be under construction this spring with a August 2015 completion. The detour will begin where the Billy Wolff and Rock island Trail connect with riders needing to cross 27th and Capital Parkway at grade. Please use the sidewalk on the south side of Capital Parkway between 27th Street and Randolph.
- Wilderness Park Bike Bridge: The Wilderness Park Bike Bridge between Pioneer Blvd. and Old Cheney has been completed and is now open.
- Sheridan Street Penny Bridges project: This project will cause a lengthy closure of the Rock Island Trail between Calvert and South Streets beginning May 3 2015 and going through the end of September.. The designated detour for this project will be along Calvert, east to 33rd, then north along 33rd to South Street and west to the Rock Island Trail. Other options are available including going west to 31st Street and then north along 31st to Van Dorn and east to the trail. Riders need to find a route that works best for them since the trail will be closed at Sheridan during the length of the project.
- Old Cheney Trail: Between 70th and 82nd is a Public Works Project that is expected to be complete Spring 2015. Completion of this section of trail will make a connection on the west and the Rock Island Trail near 14th the Billy Wolff and 84th Street trails on the east.
- Yankee Hill Trail (between 70th and 91st): This is a Public Works Project that will provide a trail along Yankee Hill and a connection with a new Middle School at 84th and Yankee Hill. This project will be constructed when Yankee Hill is improved. Expected completion is August 2017.
- Pioneers Park Trail – Phase III is in the initial phase of design. This project will provide a connection along the southern edge of Pioneers Park with the western edge of the park. Expected completion is August 2016.
- Miscellaneous projects: Stormwater management projects along the Rock Island Trail between South and Calvert will have temporary closures while that project moves forward during 2015. In addition, various sections of trail around Lincoln will have improvements made that involve replacing panels of concrete that have cracked. This is expected to take place along the Pine Lake Trail between 14th and 27th Streets and the 84th Street north of Adams.