Bike to Work
To celebrate National Bike Month in May, the Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Department, Bicyclincoln and BikeLNK invite area cyclists to start pedaling to help Lincoln continue their dominance as National Bike Challenge champions. The 2019 National Bike Challenge begins May 1 and runs through September 30. To participate, sign up here. In 2018, Lincoln won the Challenge for the fourth time in five years. Previous wins were in 2017, 2016 and 2013. Bicyclincoln will be hosting the 2019 National Bike Challenge Kick-off Party at White Elm Brewing on Friday, April 26th.
Bike to Work Day is May 17, 2019
Bike to Work Pledge Pledge sheets should be returned by Friday, May 17 to be included in the final drawing for prizes. Send to Mike Heyl, Public Health Educator, Lincoln Lancaster County Health Department - firstname.lastname@example.org, 402-441-3889. Email replies are accepted.
Other cycling events this spring include the following:
Tour de Lincoln - Hosted by the Great Plains Trails Network (GPTN), this free event showcases trails in all four quadrants of the City. The four separate rides begin at 6:00 p.m. at the Jayne Snyder Trails Center, 21st and "Q" Streets. For more information, visit gptn.org. The dates are as follows:
- May 9 - Northeast Tour, 16 miles
- May 16 - Southeast Tour, 15 miles
- May 23 - Northwest Tour, 12 miles
- May 30 - Southwest Tour, 16 miles
Bike to Work Week - May 13 through 19. Events include the following:
- Friday, May 10 - Kickoff Event, 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m., Jayne Snyder Trails Center, 228 N 21st Street. Participants can enjoy pastries, coffee and juice and receive information on cycling events during Bike Month and the rest of the year. Information will be available on BikeLNK, the local bike share program, StarTran's bus-mounted bike racks, the new City of Lincoln Bike Plan and the new Haines Branch Prairie Corridor.
- Friday, May 17 - Wrap-up Party, 4:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., BikeLNK, 206 S. Antelope Valley Parkway. Food Vendor Porkcentric Tacos and drink specials at Code Beer will be available to participants. There will be a raffle and celebration giveaways at 6:00 p.m.
Trail Trek - Sunday, June 23, 2019 at Haymarket Park, 403 Line Drive Circle. This celebration of Lincoln's trail system is led by GPTN and features seven fun rides ranging from 10 to 37 miles. Each participant receives lunch, t-shirt and a water bottle. To register or for more information, visit gptn.org.