City of Lincoln
2011 Media Releases
- January 3, 2011
- For More Information Contact:
- Diane Gonzolas, Citizen Information Center, 402-441-7831
- Deb Weber, Lincoln Arts Council, 402-434-2787
Nominations Now Accepted For Mayor's Arts Awards
The deadline has been extended to January 14 for nominations for the 33rd annual Mayor's Arts Awards. The awards will be presented by the Lincoln Arts Council (LAC) Wednesday, June 8 at the Lied Center for Performing Arts. The Mayor's Arts Awards program formally recognizes artistic contributions and achievements in the Lincoln area. Nomination forms are available by calling the LAC at 434-2787 or printing a form from the LAC website, www.artscene.org. A list of previous winners also is available at that website.
A winner in the following categories will be selected by a panel of arts professionals:
- The Arts Organization Award recognizes an arts group that has made significant contributions to Lincoln's arts community over a period of years.
- The Artistic Achievement Award - Visual Arts recognizes excellence and accomplishment in any of the visual arts, including film.
- The Artistic Achievement Award - Youth recognizes excellence and accomplishment in any arts discipline by a young person age 18 or younger.
- The Artistic Achievement Award - Performing Arts recognizes excellence and accomplishment in any of the performing arts, including film.
- The Gladys Lux Education Award recognizes special initiatives in or dedication to arts education and is endowed by the Gladys Lux Foundation.
- The Heart of the Arts Award recognizes an individual or organization for outstanding volunteer dedication to the arts or for making a major overall impact on the arts in Lincoln.
- The Outstanding Event Award recognizes a performance, exhibition or project in the previous year (2010) that will be notable in the community memory for years to come because of its content or cultural significance.
- The Halcyon Allsman Benefactor of the Arts Award honors an individual, family, organization or business making significant financial contributions to the arts in Lincoln.
- The Oliva "Arts for Kids" Award honors an individual from outside of the arts professions whose leadership has enhanced arts activities and experiences for children. The award is sponsored by the Oliva Family.
Three other awards also are presented at the event:
- The Literary Heritage Award recognizes a writer or individual who promotes excellence in writing and literature in Nebraska. The winner is chosen by the Nebraska Literary Heritage Association, which also sponsors the awards.
- The Larry Enersen Award recognizes outstanding urban design in Lincoln. It is chosen by the Urban Design Committee and sponsored by Clark Enersen Partners.
- Mayor Beutler will select the recipient of the Mayor's Choice Award.
Nominations from the previous year are automatically resubmitted, and updates to the 2010 nominations will be accepted.
The public also is encouraged to submit names of members of the Lincoln arts community who have died since the last awards ceremony in June 2010 for memorial recognition at the event.