- **NOTE: This service is available for CITY employees only and is not available for COUNTY employees.
What is the Work Number?
The Work Number is an automated service that securely provides instant employment and income verifications. It can be used when applying for a loan, buying a car, leasing an apartment, qualifying for public assistance or similar instances where proof of employment or income is needed.
The Work Number streamlines the transfer of information between employers and verifiers, benefiting you by accelerating the decision process without compromising your data privacy.
The Work Number is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and by utilizing this service, your human resources department has extended the ability for you to apply for credit rapidly and easily - even on weekends or during evening hours - and without the need to provide paper documentation such as pay stubs to lenders or other service providers.
Here's How It Works
1. City of Lincoln's payroll department securely transmits employment and income data to the Work Number on a regular cycle, so the information remains current.
2. When an employee applies for credit or other services where proof of employment or income is required, the employee can provide consent to the credit grantor to verify that information when signing the application.
3. The verifier - who has been carefully screened and credentialed before gaining access to the system, uses the City of Lincoln's employer code: 16480 and the employee's Social Security Number to look up their record on the Work Number database.
4. The verifier must provide a valid reason or permissible purpose for requesting the information, as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The verifier must also have the employee's consumer consent before requesting income or salary information.
5. With the above conditions met, the verifier can validate the employee's employment or income in seconds.