Stop and Yield Signs

Stop and yield signs assign the right of way and enhance traffic flow. Stop and yield signs also create “through” streets, which are unimpeded by cross traffic. Speeds tend to increase on through streets and driver attentiveness tends to decrease.

Right of way is determined by the “right hand rule” at low volume intersections which do not have a stop or yield sign. In these situations drivers are to approach intersections with caution and yield the right of way to the driver on their right.

State Law requires that prior to installing “Stop” or “Yield” control, an engineering study must be completed. This study should document that installation of the signs is necessary to improve the over-all operation of the intersection. The Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) provides guidance on when stop or yield signs should be installed.

Stop Sign Yield Sign

Stop Signs, Speeding and Crash Prevention

At times, people request that stop signs be placed at an intersection in response to a recent crash or to slow down traffic. Stop signs may not be the best or only solution to a problem. Research shows that intersections with stop signs generally experience more crashes than those without. Some drivers actually speed up between stop sign controlled intersections.

Frequently, people experience crashes at intersections because something blocks a driver's line of sight for cross traffic. Shrubs, parked cars, signs and other obstructions may be the culprit at a corner. If that is a problem, it can usually be corrected fairly easily.

Complaints about intersections are investigated by the Department of Transportation and Utilities. They will review the history of the crash patterns and note any changes in traffic volume. They also survey the site for obstructions or other conditions such as hills or curves. After a thorough analysis, traffic engineers can make specific recommendations for making an intersection safer.

For More Information

For more information, please call the Traffic Engineering Division at 402-441-7711 or email your questions/comments/concerns to