Frequently Asked Questions

Recycling & Disposal Guidelines

expand all collapse all

What kinds of plastics can I recycle at the public recyclables collection sites?

#1 – #5 plastic containers can be recycled. Check the bottom of the container for the code.

Recycling Guidelines for Plastic Products Recyclables Collection Sites

Do I need to remove the plastic caps and neck rings off the bottles that I recycle?

No, you do not need to remove caps and neck rings. However, to help save space in the recyclables collection containers, we encourage you to remove caps and flatten the bottles.

Recycling Guidelines for Plastic Products

Where can I recycle plastic bags?

Plastic grocery bags can be recycled at many grocery stores. In addition to plastic grocery sacks, you can also recycle bread sacks and newspaper sacks.

Recycling Info for Plastic Bags

What type of glass can I recycle?

You can recycle green, brown, or clear glass bottles and jars at the public recyclables collection sites. No window glass, mirrors, or ceramics are accepted.

Recycling Guidelines for Glass Bottles and Jars

What types of paper can go in the residential mixed paper container?

Residential mixed paper includes all magazines, catalogs, telephone directories, scratch paper, junk mail, computer paper, office paper and fiberboard packaging. No newspaper should be placed in the mixed paper container. Instead, place newspapers in the newspaper containers.

Recycling Guidelines for Mixed Paper

Where can I take my telephone books?

You can take your telephone book to any public recyclables collection sites and place it in the residential mixed paper container.

Where can I take magazines to recycle?

Magazines are accepted at any public recyclables collection sites in the residential mixed paper container.

Can the advertisements that come in the newspaper be recycled with the newspaper?

Yes, advertisements that come in the newspaper be recycled with the newspaper. They do not need to be separated.

Recycling Guidelines for Newspaper

Where can I take cardboard to recycle?

Cardboard is accepted at the public recyclables collection sites in the cardboard container. Please flatten boxes and remove all packaging materials.

Recycling Guidelines for Cardboard

What can I put in the cardboard recycling container?

Any type of cardboard box or fiber board (i.e. moving boxes, shoe boxes, shirt boxes, cereal boxes...). These items must be flattened and packaging material must be removed.

Recycling Guidelines for Cardboard

Can I recycle pizza boxes?

Pizza boxes can be recycled. A little grease is okay, but cheese and food waste is not. Staples and tape are okay.

Recycling Guidelines for Cardboard

Where can I take used motor oil?

Various auto repair shops and auto parts stores in Lincoln accept used motor oil for recycling, as does the North 48th Street Transfer Station. Some places may charge a fee so you might want to call in advance to get the price.

Recycling/Disposal Info for Oil

What can I do with leftover paint?

Latex Paint

You can dry out latex paint and discard it in your regular trash.

Disposal Guide for Latex Paint (PDF, 359KB)

Oil-based Paint

If the paint is oil-based, take it to a Household Hazardous Waste Collection. Call the Lincoln-Lancaster Health Department at 402-441-8040 for more information.

What do I do with tires?

Many tire retailers will dispose of used tires for a fee. Another option is recycling tires at the North 48th Street Transfer Station. There is a limit of 10 tires per customer and a fee of $3.50 per car tire plus a vehicle fee.

Recycling/Disposal Info for Tires

Where can I recycle computers and televisions?

A number of recyclers, non-profits and local retailers will accept computer and television equipment. Most will assess a recycling fee.

Recycling/Disposal Info for Computers Recycling/Disposal Info for Televisions

How do I dispose of unwanted, outdated or leftover medicines?

A number of local pharmacies will accept non-controlled medications. Go to for a pharmacy near you.

Recycling/Disposal Info for Medications

Recycling Sites and Service Information

expand all collapse all

Where are the public recyclables collection sites?

The recyclables collection program maintains at least one site in each quadrant of the city. For a map of current locations please visit:

Recyclables Collection Sites

How can I get curbside recycling?

Call the refuse hauler in your area about curbside recycling. There is a nominal fee for this service.

List of Recycling Collectors

Where did the recycling container go; it's missing from it's normal place?

It may be that the containers are being serviced. It usually takes the contractor about an hour to empty a recycling container and then return it.

What should I do if the recycling bins are full at a public recyclables collection site location?

Please do not leave your recyclables outside of the bins. Contact the Waste Diversion and Recycling Office at 402-441-8215 and let them know of the recycling containers that need to be emptied. You may take your recyclables to different site or return another day.

What should I do if there is waste or illegally dumped material at a public recyclables collection sites?

If there is waste at the site such as tires, paint, batteries, please call the Recycling Hotline at 402-441-8215. If there is hazardous or foul smelling waste at the site, please call the above numbers or the Emergency Health Department number at 402-441-8000.

When are the public recyclables collection sites open?

Most public recyclables collection sites are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The City requests that a person use the site during the work week and during daylight hours. The sites at Russ's Market at Coddington and West "A" Street and the North 48th Street Transfer Station at 5101 N. 48th Street have limited hours of operation.

How can I promote recycling where I work?

There are many recycling opportunities available to businesses. Contact the Nebraska Recycling Council at 402-436-2384 for a free waste assessment and information on recycling opportunities.

Recycling Resources for Businesses

Organic Waste

expand all collapse all

What months can I put my leaves and yard waste with my regular garbage?

The ban on the disposal of grass and leaves is April 1 to December 1. During this time, residents can subscribe for a special collection, contract with a private lawn service, or haul material to the North 48th Street Transfer Station. Other options include creating a compost pile or mulching grass clippings on the lawn. From December 1st through March 31st, grass and leaves can be mixed with household trash.

Backyard Composting

Where can I get compost?

The City of Lincoln makes compost from the grass and leaves collected from the public. The compost is called EarthFuel and can be purchased at some of the local nurseries and garden centers. It is also available at no cost at the North 48th Street Transfer Station, but it must be self-loaded.

EarthFuel Compost

Where do I recycle my Christmas tree?

The City provides Christmas tree drop-off sites from Christmas Day through mid-January. Residents also can contact their refuse haulers regarding tree collection.

Christmas Tree Drop-Off Sites