Off-duty assignments can be one-time or more permanent assignments. Police officers provide services related to security or law enforcement - typically providing protection for persons or property, maintaining order at events, and traffic or pedestrian control.
Outside employment which can be interpreted to be inconsistent with, in conflict with, or detrimental to, the interests of the City or the department will not be approved. The following types of work are examples which would not ordinarily be approved:
- Private detective agencies;
- Licensed liquor establishments;
- Collection agencies;
- Private security;
- Employment outside of the city of Lincoln in a law enforcement capacity;
- Any work in which the employee's position, title, or uniform is used to endorse or promote a product or service;
- Any work that requires access to police records or files.