InterLinc Home Page  
City of Lincoln  
City of Lincoln
Human Rights Commission

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What do I do if I feel I've been discriminated against?

    Call the Lincoln Commission on Human Rights at 441-7624. You will be asked some basic questions such as, a) did this happen within the City of Lincoln, b) how long ago did it occur, c) why do you think you were discriminated against, and d) if this is an employment complaint, how many employees are there in the business.

  2. Does the Commission on Human Rights handle complaints from outside the city limits?

    No, our jurisdiction is limited to within the city limits of Lincoln.

  3. What are the areas of discrimination that your office covers?

    Employment, Housing, and Public Accommodation.

  4. What kinds of discrimination are handled?

    Age, disability, religion, marital status, familial status, race, color, national origin, sex, ancestry or retaliation.

  5. How long does it take to investigate a complaint?

    An average of 6 months from the time of filing until resolution.

  6. Do you investigate complaints against other City agencies, e.g. Police Department?

    No, we do not handle complaints against other City agencies.

  7. If you are unable to investigate my complaint, what other avenue do I have?

    You can call the Nebraska Equal Opportunity Commission at 471-2024. Or the Regional Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in Denver, Colorado at (303) 866-1300.. Housing concerns can also be referred to the U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development in Kansas City, Kansas at (913) 551-6958.

  8. How much does it cost to file a complaint?

    There is no charge. The services of the Lincoln Commission on Human Rights are free of charge.

Human Rights Commission