- February 10, 2004
- For More Information Contact:
- Diane Gonzolas, Citizen Information Center, 441-7831
- Deb Weber, Lincoln Arts Council, 434-2787
Judges Named for Mayor's Arts Awards
Nominations Due February 20
Mayor Coleen J. Seng today announced that judges have been selected for the 2004 Mayorís Arts Awards. The 26th annual awards will be presented by the Lincoln Arts Council (LAC) the evening of Wednesday, June 2, 2004 at the Lied Center for Performing Arts.
All seven judges are former recipients of the Mayor's Arts Award. They are:
The awards this year are being created by Keith Jacobshagen, a UNL art professor who is recognized nationally for his paintings of the Midwestern plains. He was a recipient of the Mayorís Arts Award in 1991.
- LaVon Crosby, 1985 recipient, former State Senator and long-time supporter of the arts.
- Robert Hillestad, 1996 recipient, textile artist and UNL professor emeritus.
- Malley Keelan, 2003 recipient, professional musician, music retailer and founder of the Lincoln Light Opera Company.
- Vince Learned, 2003 recipient and musical theatre performer and director.
- Sue Quambusch, 2003 recipient, owner of A to Z Printing and arts supporter.
- Hilda Raz, 1988 recipient, UNL English Professor and Editor of Prairie Schooner.
- Jose Soto, 2002 recipient and head of the Southeast Community College Affirmative Action, Diversity and Equity Division.
The Mayor's Arts Awards program formally recognizes artistic contributions and achievements in the Lincoln area. In January, Mayor Seng announced that she has selected the Tour de Lincoln public art project for this yearís Mayorís Choice Award. Those wishing to nominate a project, organization or person may request a nomination form by calling the LAC at 434-2787 or print a form from the LAC web site: www.artscene.org. The nomination deadline is February 20, 2004.
Nominations are being accepted for the following awards:
The Halcyon Allsman Benefactor of the Arts Award honors an individual or family who has made significant financial contributions to the arts in Lincoln.
The Arts Organization Award recognizes an arts group which has made significant contributions to Lincolnís arts community over a period of years.
The Leadership Award recognizes an individual or organization for making a major overall impact on the arts in Lincoln.
The Support of the Arts Award recognizes an organization or business for significant financial support for the arts.
The Cultural Celebration Award recognizes artistic work that has fostered an appreciation of a specific culture or cultures through the arts.
The Literary Heritage Award recognizes a writer or individual who promotes excellence in writing and literature in Nebraska.
The Larry Enersen Award recognizes outstanding urban design in Lincoln.
The Sam Davidson Award recognizes excellence in theatre arts.
The Artistic Achievement Award recognizes professional accomplishments in any arts discipline.
The Heart of the Arts Award recognizes outstanding volunteer efforts on behalf of the arts.
The Event of the Year Award recognizes a performance, exhibition, event or project in 2003 that will be notable in the community memory for years to come
The Gladys Lux Education Award recognizes special initiatives or dedication to arts education.
The public is also encouraged to submit names of members of the Lincoln arts community who died during the past year for memorial recognition at the event.