City of Lincoln
2012 Media Releases
- January 10, 2012
- For More Information Contact:
- Deb Weber, Lincoln Arts Council, 402-434-2787
Nominations Due by Friday for Mayor's Arts Awards
The deadline to submit nominations for the 34th annual Mayor's Arts Awards is Friday, January 13. The awards program, presented by the Lincoln Arts Council (LAC) Wednesday June 6, 2012, formally recognizes artistic contributions and achievements in the Lincoln area. Nomination forms are available by calling the LAC at 402-434-2787 or printing a form from the LAC website, www.artscene.org. A list of previous winners also is available at that website.
Judges will select winners in the following categories:
- The Arts Organization Award recognizes an arts group that has made significant contributions to Lincoln's arts community over a period of years.
- The Artistic Achievement Award - Visual Arts recognizes excellence and accomplishment in any of the visual arts, including theatre and film.
- The Artistic Achievement Award - Youth recognizes excellence and accomplishment in any arts discipline by a young person age 18 or younger.
- The Artistic Achievement Award - Performing Arts recognizes excellence and accomplishment in any of the performing arts, including film.
- The Gladys Lux Education Award recognizes special initiatives in or dedication to arts education and is endowed by the Gladys Lux Foundation.
- The Heart of the Arts Award recognizes an individual or organization for outstanding volunteer dedication to the arts or for making a major overall impact on the arts in Lincoln.
- The Outstanding Event Award recognizes a performance, exhibition or project in the previous year (2011) that will be notable in the community memory for years to come because of its content or cultural significance.
- The Halcyon Allsman Benefactor of the Arts Award honors an individual, family, organization or business making significant financial contributions to the arts.
- The Oliva "Arts for Kids" Award honors an individual from outside of the arts professions whose leadership has enhanced arts activities and experiences for children
Nominations from the previous year are automatically resubmitted, and updates to the 2011 nominations will be accepted. The public also is encouraged to submit names of members of the Lincoln arts community who have died since the last awards ceremony in June 2011 for memorial recognition at the event.