Contractor Bond, Insurance, and Registration Requirements

Trade-specific licenses, such as those for electricians, plumbers, or HVAC technicians, require specific knowledge and experience. Obtaining a trade-specific license generally means that trades people have completed a minimum number of hours of work experience as apprentices in their trade, that they have passed a standardized written test based on their trade, and often that they will complete continuing education courses in order to renew their licenses.

Insurance Requirements for Demolition, Electrical, HVAC, Plumbing, Signs, Street Use and Fire

1. The name of the business must be on the certificate.
2. The policy must include the City of Lincoln as an additional insured under the general liability policy and the endorsement must be noted on the Certificate of Insurance by using the phrase "City of Lincoln as an additional insured." Please note the endorsement form number and include a copy of the endorsement. If the additional insured endorsement is restrictive, it must be an endorsement as it relates to a political subdivision issuing a permit. There is no written contractual relationship between the City of Lincoln and the insured and those endorsements should not be used.
3. The certificate must have the signature of the authorized agent.
4. The policy number must be listed on the certificate. (Binder numbers are not acceptable.)
5. Must include minimum liability requirement of $500,000 each occurrence.
6. A certificate of insurance form is required. A standard ACORD form is acceptable.
7. Plumbing, HVAC, electrical, and fire contractors must have a master's name listed on certificate as an insured. Example: Master Plumber Joe Smith as additional insured. (This does not apply to lawn sprinkler companies, street use, or sign contractors.)
8. If you are not doing work in the City right-of-way, a Bond is not required. Sign, Street Use, and Excavation Contractors must have a bond.
9. Please email documents to

Bond Requirements for Excavation, Sign, and Street Use Permits 

1. Must have a License and Permit bond for the amount of $5,000.00 or a cashier's check for $5,000.00made payable to the City of Lincoln.
2. Unless the Bond is signed by an Officer of the Surety Company, a Power of Attorney form must be attached or sent with the bond.
3. The Power of Attorney form must be certified to include the execution date of the bond.
4. The bond must be a one-year renewable bond with a starting and ending date.
5. The bond must be an original.

Nebraska Contractor Registration Information 

The Nebraska Contractor Registration Act requires contractors and subcontractors doing business in Nebraska to register with the Nebraska Department of Labor. Please visit their website or contact them using the information below.

Nebraska Department of Labor
Labor Law / Contractor Registration
550 S 16th St, 3rd Floor
Lincoln, NE 68508

Phone: 402-471-2239
Fax: 402-471-5039