Lincoln currently has four public dog runs for our canine friends to enjoy. Three of the areas have been recently renovated to successfully open a dog run in each quadrant of the city.
A Dog Use Facilities Master Plan(PDF, 6MB) (Final, 2016) proposed expanded parking and other improvements to Rickman's Run; relocation of the Oak Creek Dog Run to Roper East, and creation of two new runs at Mahoney Park and Stranksy Dog Run at Peterson Park.
Thanks to additional funding through private donations and sponsorships additional amenities were installed in all four dog runs including concrete paths, benches, and shade structures.
Bowling Lake Park Dog Run, NW 44th & West Cumming Streets.
Includes approximately one acre of space for dogs of all sizes and parking that includes ADA accessible space.
Mahoney Park Dog Run, near 84th and Adams Streets.
The Mahoney Park facility includes a four-acre space for large dogs and a one-acre area for small dogs.
Rickman's Run at Holmes Lake Park: , east side of South 70th Street in Holmes Lake Park
Rickman's Run includes a 22.25-acre space for large dogs and a 1.45-acre area for small dogs.
Roper East Park Dog Run: , N. 7th and Adams streets
The Roper Park facility includes a four-acre space for large dogs and a one-acre area for small dogs.
Stransky Dog Run at Peterson Park: , 4419 Southwood Drive
The Stranksy Dog Run facility includes a 2.55 acre space for large dogs and a one-acre area for small dogs.
Dog Park Rules and Regulations
- Pets, other than dogs, are not permitted in a dog park.
- A person bringing a dog to a dog park must have a leash available at all times. A dog must be kept on a leash until it is inside the dog park. A dog must be placed on a leash before it may be taken outside of the dog park.
- Notwithstanding the fact that a dog may be off leash in a dog park, a dog must be under the control of the person in charge of the dog and must be in view of that person at all times.
- Per dog park rules and city ordinance, dog handlers must dispose of dog feces properly and immediately. Excrement must be promptly and completely picked up and properly disposed of by the person or persons who brought or allowed the animal into the facility.
- Human food is not permitted within dog parks. However, dog treats are permitted.
- The person in charge of a dog is responsible for any damage to the dog park caused by the dog. Holes dug by a dog must be filled in and any turf damage must be repaired.
- The person in charge of a dog in a dog park is responsible for any injury to any person or other dog caused by that person's dog.
- Any person in charge of a dog in a dog park must comply with all posted rules and regulations.
- Any person engaged in any activity assumes all risks associated with such activity and is liable for any damage or injury caused by said activity.
- Dogs are not permitted in a dog park when the dog park is closed or outside of the posted days and hours of operation for the dog park. Dogs are not permitted in a dog park when the dog park is dark and unlighted. Park curfews apply.
For non-emergency issues, contact the Lincoln Police Department non-emergency, (402) 441-6000.