Background on Zoning Confirmation Letters Beginning October 3, 2016
* Please note new fees as of October 1, 2022
As of October 3, 2016, the Planning Department will now provide a Zoning Confirmation Letter (sample letter(PDF, 69KB)) upon application and payment of a $41.00 fee for daycare providers, and $82.00 for all other requests.
- The current or proposed zoning of the property (for address and legal provided)
- Confirm if the property is subject to a special permit, use permit or PUD
- Confirm that the City is not aware of any zoning violations
- For apartments, if the apartment license is current for each licensed building
For any property in which the Building and Safety Department is currently handling a zoning violation, the City will not issue the letter until the violation(s) are corrected. If the violations are not corrected, the application fee will not be refunded.
For apartment complexes, the City will not issue the letter until all apartment licenses are current. If the license is not issued, the zoning confirmation application fee will not be refunded.
Once the research on the zoning confirmation is underway, the City will not refund the application fee, even if the applicant determines they no longer need the letter.
The application fee covers one letter per premises. One premises may include multiple contiguous lots and multiple apartment buildings. For requests with multiple locations to be confirmed, a separate fee is required for each premises. For example, if requests comes in for an apartment complex of 12 buildings on two contiguous lots, only one fee will be required, even though each building has a separate address. But, if a request comes in for 12 apartment buildings on multiple separate sites scattered throughout the City, then a separate fee will be required for each address.
The reason for the separate fees is that the research into one premises takes up most of the staff time. Separate premises scattered about require additional research time. Each separate premises requires a separate letter and fee.
Each application must include the following information:
- Contact information for the applicant including email address
- Application fee for each premises
- Address of each property to have zoning confirmed
- Legal description of property
- Address of person or institution where the letter should be sent (if different than applicant)
- Current use of property to be confirmed (such as apartment, commercial, single family)
A printable version of the application form(PDF, 155KB) is also available if you wish to print it out and mail it, or bring it into our office, along with the fee in cash or check payable to "City of Lincoln". We also accept VISA, Discover, MasterCard or American Express. Call us if you wish to pay with a credit card. You can contact us at 402-441-7491 or firstname.lastname@example.org.