City of Lincoln
2010 Media Releases
- August 30, 2010
- For More Information Contact:
- Diane Gonzolas, Citizen Information Center, 402-441-7831
Scott Opfer, Public Works and Utilities, 402-441-7711
Ken Smith, City Parking Manager, 402-441-4617
Mayor Welcomes Visitors For Football
City experimenting with new all-day meter parking option
Mayor Chris Beutler today welcomed visitors headed to Lincoln for Husker football games and encouraged fans to use one of three City programs designed to ease game-day traffic and parking:
- StarTran is again providing the Big Red Express from five locations.
- Fans can reserve pre-paid, event parking at lincoln.ne.gov and parkandgo.org.
- New this year is an experimental all-day, on-street parking meter option. Meters are enforced Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., but for a $9 fee, fans can purchase a hang-tag to place in their vehicles allowing them to park all day without feeding the meter. The tags can be purchased from any City parking employee with a blue Park & Go shirt at City-operated parking facilities. Initially, a maximum of 400 tags will be sold.
"Game day in Lincoln is a great experience, and we are always looking for new ways for fans to beat the traffic and parking delays," Beutler said. "We also encourage fans to plan ahead, allow extra time and avoid post-game congestion by lingering in downtown and enjoying our restaurants and attractions."
The Mayor said federal stimulus funds have allowed for many arterial street repair projects across the City. He recommended drivers check on the construction by visiting lincoln.ne.gov (keyword: closures) . Maps and other parking information are available at lincoln.ne.gov or parkandgo.org and by calling the parking office at 402-441-PARK.
On football game days, Interstate 80 exits at the I-180/Downtown and 27th Street exits can be very congested, so visitors are encouraged to use other routes into Lincoln:
- Fans entering Lincoln from the east should consider Highways 6 (Cornhusker Highway) and 34 ("O" Street). The east leg of the Antelope Valley Project allows those using Highway 6 to access parking east of the stadium.
- The West Bypass allows fans to enter downtown while avoiding the congestion where I-180 meets downtown. Exit I-80 at the Highway 77 South exit, then turn east on Rosa Parks Way.
- Those using Interstate 80 who plan to park in the Haymarket Park lots should use the airport exit.
Contractors will not work on highway or Interstate projects on game days, so I-80 will have at least two lanes open in each direction, and all lanes will be open on highways entering Lincoln.
The following traffic patterns are in effect after the football games:
- 10th Street is one-way northbound from Military Avenue to Sun Valley Boulevard.
- 8th Street is one-way southbound from "S" to "N" streets.
Those traveling downtown should be aware of the bike lanes on 14th Street from "L" to "R" streets and on 11th Street from "Q" to "K" streets.
STARTRAN OFFERS BIG RED EXPRESS
In addition to its regular routes, StarTran will provide its Big Red Express service on Husker game days starting two hours before kickoff from five locations:
- Westfield Gateway, 61st and "O." Buses load north of Penney's.
- North Star High School, 5801 N. 33rd St. (six blocks east of N. 27th Street and Folkways Blvd.)
- Holmes Lake, 70th and Normal, north end of the lake.
- Southeast Community College, 8800 "O" St., parking lot on south side.
- SouthPointe Pavilions, 27th and Pine Lake Road, south side of Von Maur
Buses will drop-off and depart from the east side of the stadium. The cost is $4 each way for adults and $1 each way for children age 12 and under, and passengers will need exact change. Electronic signs will help direct fans to the Big Red Express locations. Big Red Express season tickets, good for round-trip travel for all home games, are available for $40 at StarTran, 710 "J" Street; the SouthPointe Pavilions office; Scheels at SouthPointe Pavilions; or at the lots on game day. For more information, call 476-1234 or visit startran.lincoln.ne.gov.
RESERVED PARKING AVAILABLE
The City recommends reserving pre-paid, event parking through the City Web site, lincoln.ne.gov, and through parkandgo.org. Football parking locations and fees are:
- City-County, 10th and "K" streets - $8 on site, $7 online
- Carriage Park, 1120 "L" St. and Cornhusker Square, 1220 "L" St. - $11 on site, $10 online
- Center Park, 1100 "N" St.; Lincoln Station South, 7th and "P" streets; and University Square, 101 North 14th - $13 on site, $12 online
- Haymarket, 9th and "Q" streets; Iron Horse, 7th and "Q" streets; Market Place, 10th and "Q" streets; Que Place, 1111 "Q" St.; and Lumberworks, 711 "O" St.; - $14 on site, $13 online
- Sun Valley and Charleston St. (near Oak Lake Park) vehicle parking - $5 on site and online
Grills are not allowed in City parking garages. RV parking is available at Sun Valley and Charleston for $10, and grills are allowed at this location.
A number of private lots are available. Rates vary, and some offer season passes. NOTE: The railroad lot under the Harris Overpass west of Lincoln Station will probably NOT be available for parking this year.
Vehicles blocking drives, parked too close to the intersection, parked on public right of way or interfering with vehicle and pedestrian traffic will be towed.
University of Nebraska game day parking information and maps are available at parking.unl.edu (keyword: football). Parking also is available at the following University areas for $15:
- 17th and "R" garage
- 14th and "R" streets
- 1410 "Q" St.
- Harper Schramm Smith Food Service, 14th and "Y" streets
- 17th and "R" streets (southwest corner)
- Anderson Hall, 16th St. between "P" and "Q" streets
- 18th and "R" streets
- Beadle Center, 19th St. north of "S" St.
- 1820 "R" St.
- 900 North 22nd St.
- Business Services Complex, 17th St. north of "Y" St.
Wheelchair accessible parking is available at UNL Lot 5, Stadium Drive and Holdrege, for $15 per vehicle. Handicapped parking is available at:
- Mabel Lee Hall (vans only) - $15
- 14th and Avery garage - $15, with free cart shuttle
- 14th and "U" streets, east of Morrill Hall - $15
- 14th St. between Vine and "W" streets, free on-street parking where available
- 17th and "R" garage - $15 with bus service
UNL parking lots will be available for use six hours prior to kick off.
Stadium Drive west of the stadium will be closed to all vehicular traffic. Passenger drop-off and pick-up will not be allowed in front of the stadium before or after the game. Fans can be dropped off and picked up at 10th and Charleston streets and 12th and "R" streets.
Only StarTran buses and those using UNL Lot 12 or handicapped parking will be allowed west of 16th St. on Vine.
Charter buses will park on "W" St. between 14th and 16th streets.
The taxi stand is at 14th and Vine streets.
- Alcohol is prohibited on City streets, parking lots, garages and sidewalks including the trail between Haymarket Park and 8th Street.
- The sale of tickets, souvenirs or other items is not allowed on City streets or sidewalks. Officers will issue citations for violations that inhibit the use of the street or sidewalk.
- Lock your vehicle and put valuable items out of sight to prevent theft.
- Backpacks and umbrellas are not allowed in Memorial Stadium.