Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the Lincoln Police Department located?

The address is 575 S. 10th; Lincoln, NE 68508. It is located in the Justice and Law Enforcement Center at 10th and Lincoln Mall, on the first floor.

How do I get a copy of an accident report?

A copy of your vehicle accident report is available to you through the home page under Police Records. It is best to wait at least 24 hrs from the time of the accident.

Can the police open my car if I locked my keys inside?

Due to the risk of damage to the vehicle the Lincoln Police Department does not unlock vehicles. If other circumstances exist, such as a young child locked in the vehicle, an officer will be sent to assist in any way possible. Contacting a locksmith is your best alternative in most cases.

Why did it take the police so long to arrive when I called them last night?

All request for police services are assigned a priority based on the type of call. Calls with potential for injury or property damage and calls that are serious in nature or occurring at that time will be dispatched as soon as possible. Calls that are less urgent or are belated are considered less of a priority and may be held while officers handle emergencies. The day of the week and time of the call will also determine the length of wait as certain days of the week and hours of the day are busier then others.

Who has to wear a seat belt in a vehicle?

Seat belt use is required by the driver and those passengers occupying the front seat of any motor vehicle that is equipped with passenger restraints.

What are the requirements for child restraints in a vehicle?

  • Children up to age 2 must ride rear-facing, or until they reach the upper height or weight limit allowed by the car seat manufacturer.
  • All children up to age 8 must ride secured correctly in a federally-approved car seat or booster seat.
  • Children up to age 8 must ride in the back seat, as long as there is a back seat equipped with a seatbelt and is not already occupied by other children under eight years of age.


Why can't I ride my bicycle on the sidewalk in downtown Lincoln?

Lincoln has several areas that are classified as "congested districts". It is unlawful for anyone to ride a bicycle, skateboard or roller skate in the congested district. The downtown area classified as a congested district is : west side of 7th street to the east side of 17th street and from the south side of "M" street to the north side of "Q" street. Also 13th street "M" street to "K" street.

Other congested districts include: N. 48th Street between Garland and Greenwood; Cotner Boulevard between Dudley and Walker; Havelock Avenue between N. 60th Street and N. 63rd Street; S. 48th Street between Calvert and Lowell and Prescott Street from S. 47th Street to S. 48th Street.

I'm interested in career in policing. Where can I learn more?

Check out our recruitment information, and also dig into our description of LPD's community-based policing philosophy. Get into our annual reports, and read about our organizational structure, the "year in review", and the highlights from each of our community police teams.

How can I schedule an officer to speak with my Girl Scout Troop/Boy Scout Troop/Neighborhood/Pre-school class?

You can complete a presentation request online or contact a member of our Crime Prevention Unit directly.

Where can I find data for my class project or research?

Our website has historic crime and arrest data dating back to 1990. You can also view our most current annual report to find detailed statistics about crime and workload information. Download stats from the City's open data portal and do some analysis of your own.

How can I get more information about crime in my neighborhood?

Cruise around the city interactively and make maps, charts and reports on your own. Sign up to receive automatic crime alerts. Learn more about crime trends in Lincoln.

How can I run a background check?

Learn all there is to know about background checks, including a lot of free resources.


Contact the Team Captain to learn more about keeping watch of the police incidents at and near your rental units. Check to see if your prospective tenant is one of 8,000 people with current arrest warrants.

Employer or Volunteer Coordinator?

You can check Lincoln Police Department criminal histories instantly for the same $10 fee we charge at headquarters or by mail, but without the drive, parking and waiting.

Pawn broker or second-hand dealer?

Keep a close eye on recently-reported stolen property. Use "find" on this page from your browser's menu and put in the first few letters of a brand name (try Rem, for example.)

Where can I find out more about LPD?

Take a peek at our community events, find out more about our history, check out our facebook posts, or twitter feed.

How do I get a Protection Order?

Filling out the forms

Protection Orders are issued through the district court. The law allows you to file an order without an attorney. Standard forms are available at the district court clerk's office or your local domestic violence or Victim Assistance Program. Clerk of the district court is located 575 S. 10th in the Justice and Law Enforcement Center on the 3rd floor. 402-441-7328 You will be asked to provide specific information on why you are requesting the order including dates, as near as possible, times and locations of recent abusive or stalking incidents. The district clerk is not required to help you complete the forms, so you may want to contact the local domestic violence or victim/witness program.For more information or assistance with filing for a protection order, contact our Victim/Witness Unit 402-441-7181.

Obtaining a Protection Order

Once the forms are completed, they are taken to the judge who decides if there is enough evidence to issue a protection order. You may be asked to clarify some of the information on your application. If the order is granted, you will receive a copy and the sheriff's department will receive a copy to serve upon the respondent (person you are filing the order against). The order will not be in effect until the respondent has been served. Once the respondent has been served, he or she has 5 days to request a formal hearing.

Protection Order Hearing

You are encouraged to appear at the hearing. At this time, the respondent will have the opportunity to show why the order should not remain in effect. If you believe this will happen, you may want to seek the assistance of an attorney.The order will be in effect for one year. At the end of the year, if you still feel you need protection, you can file for another order.

How do I start a Neighborhood Watch Group?

Learn more about Neighborhood Watch.


Contact your neighbors and decide on a convenient location to get together for an organizational meeting. The best place is usually at a home or in a meeting hall in the neighborhood.


Contact the Community Services Unit of the Lincoln Police Department. Our telephone number is 402-441-7261. This will allow you to schedule an officer to come to your meeting to show you how to have a successful Neighborhood Watch group. A request can also be submitted online.


The last step is to go back to your neighbors to confirm the time and location of the meeting. Be sure to explain the importance of attending the meeting. The meeting will last approximately one hour. Be sure to let them know that an officer from the Lincoln Police Department will be there to show them how to prevent crime in your neighborhood. The officer will also talk about ways to better secure your home with locks, lights and other crime prevention tactics.