Paratransit ADA Description and Eligibility Criteria
Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA)
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), StarTran provides "paratransit" service to individuals who, because of a disability, cannot use accessible, fixed-route bus service. This includes not being able to get to or from bus stops, not being able to get on or off buses, or not being able to understand how to ride and use the bus system.
As of September 1, 1999, an eligibility determination process has been implemented for StarTran's Paratransit Service.
The individual requesting Paratransit services will need to complete an application that includes specific questions relating to their abilities.
An application to be completed by a physician will no longer be required. However, there will be a Professional Verification Form to be signed by an accepted professional that will verify the applicant's responses on the application.
As of September 1, 1999, any previously used Paratransit application will not be accepted.
- any individual experiencing a disability that prevents them from riding an accessible, fixed-route city bus (unconditional status);
- any individual experiencing a disability that prevents them from riding an accessible, fixed-route city bus under special conditions (conditional status)
- complete and return the application to the League of Human Dignity (forms and instructions are located on the Registration Instructions page); incomplete forms will be returned
- have the professional verification form completed and signed by an accepted professional; return the form to the League
- if requested by the League of Human Dignity, schedule and complete a functional/cognitive evaluation at location designated by StarTran
If Determined Eligible
If Determined Not Eligible
(as a result of being functionally able to utilize an accessible fixed-route city bus)
- reasons for denial will be provided
- information on the appeal process will be forwarded
- travel training for utilization of accessible, fixed-route city bus service will be offered
For Information Contact
- Transportation Coordination Program
- League of Human Dignity
- 1701 'P' Street
- Lincoln, NE 68508
- 402-441-7871 V/TDD