Paratransit Operating Guidelines
Paratransit service is available to all eligible individuals within the city limits of Lincoln. Paratransit transportation is provided by StarTran or a contracted provider for people who are certified as functionally unable to access, board or ride regular public transit for all or some of their trips.
- Paratransit Reservations
- Paratransit Cancellations
- 402-441-7110 (24 hrs./day)
- Transportation Coordinator
League of Human Dignity
Please read this information carefully.
Days and Hours of Service
Paratransit will take you to any location within the city limits of Lincoln during the hours listed below:
- 5:40 a.m. to *9:50 p.m.
- 6:40 a.m. to *7:35 p.m.
- No Service
*Please Note: Fixed-route evening service, VanLNK on-demand service, and paratransit service are currently ending at 7 p.m. (UNL routes 24 and 25, and paratransit service within ¾ miles of routes 24 and 25, will continue to operate until 9 p.m.) More information
Paratransit service will observe the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day.
Cost to Ride
The one way cash fare is $3.50 for eligible riders and their guests. If you are certified to travel with a Personal Care Attendant (PCA) they ride for free. Passengers must pay the exact fare when boarding the bus. We cannot provide change, nor do we accept round trip fares. A 20 Ride Pass is available for $66.00 as well as a 31-consecutive day pass for $34.00 or a low income 31-consecutive day pass for $16.00. Children age 4 and under are free.
Related: StarTran Passes and Fares
Reservations may be made up to seven days in advance and at least one day in advance of travel by calling StarTran at 402-441-7109. Reservation hours are Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. On Sundays and holidays you may leave your trip requests on the answering machine for next business day only. The Paratransit Dispatcher will call to confirm your trip request.
Every effort will be made to accommodate your requested pick-up time, however, demand at certain times of the day may require that you adjust your desired time by up to one hour before or one hour after the desired pick-up or drop-off time. Reservation space is assigned on a first come, first serve basis.
Same day trip requests will be accepted on a space available basis. Passengers are encouraged to schedule return trips. Unscheduled return trips will be treated as a same day request and you may be denied or have to wait for a return pick-up.
Information Needed for Reservations
Please be prepared to provide the following information when making a reservation:
- First and last name on your identification card.
- Exact address of pick-up location including an apartment number if appropriate.
- Exact address of your destination and return pick-up location. Without an exact address a trip cannot be scheduled.
- Requested pick-up time or appointment time and desired return time.
- Information about a companion, Personal Care Attendant (PCA), or if a child is traveling with you and whether any will be using a mobility device. You may always bring one guest in addition to your PCA but additional guests will be scheduled on a space available basis. Your PCA and traveling companions must board and alight with you.
- Provide any special instructions, such as the need for the bus operator to announce his or her presence if you are visually impaired.
Additional Information Regarding Your Pick-up and Drop-off
Paratransit is a door-to-door service. The bus operator cannot go through a door or lose sight of the Paratransit vehicle.
Riders are encouraged to arrange pick-ups at the most accessible locations possible. Trips to or from Madonna are scheduled at the main entrance. If a rider is dropped off to another location the return trip pick-up point will still be from the main entrance.
We do not confirm rides; you need to write it down when you schedule.
An operator or passenger cannot change the location of the pick-up or drop-off on the day of the trip.
Paratransit vehicles do not provide a child safety seat. If you are traveling with a child you are required to provide and secure your own car seat.
Riders making medical appointments are encouraged to schedule these appointments between 9:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
Remember that you are traveling on a shared ride service and travel time will be longer than if you are traveling by car.
Paratransit will attempt to deliver you to your destination in 30 minutes or less. If a passenger chooses to schedule trips too close together and the return trip vehicle arrives before the passenger is at the location, a “No-Show” will be given to the passenger for the return trip and the passenger will need to call for a same day trip (see the “No-Show” policy section ).
30 Minute Pick-up Window
Riders need to be ready to board the bus 15 minutes in advance of their scheduled time and should expect the van to arrive up to 15 minutes after the scheduled time. Please do not call to check on your trip until at least 16 minutes after your pick-up time.
If you are traveling to or from the same destination, a minimum of 3 days a week, on the same day of the week, at the same time on a recurring basis, you may request to use subscription service. This allows you to make regular trips without telephoning to reserve your trip. The same rules apply about cancelling a trip and if any information changes you will need to make a new trip reservation.
Subscription service is limited to space available. This is a premium service and StarTran reserves the right to accept or deny requests for subscription service.
Passengers who cancel 50 percent or more of their subscription trips within a one month period will be contacted by StarTran staff to find out if their travel needs have changed. If the high cancellation rate continues, we will ask the passenger to book individual trips instead. These passengers may re-apply for subscription trips after 90 days (there is no guarantee you will be returned to subscription trips as this service is based on availability).
If you need to change the time slots of your subscription trips, please call us to make adjustments.
Cancelling Your Trip
You can call StarTran at 402-441-7110 24 hours a day to cancel your trip. Trips must be cancelled at least 60 minutes in advance of your pick-up time.
Late Cancellations And No-shows
When the van arrives, it will wait 5 minutes for you to board the vehicle. If you are not ready you may be declared a “No-Show” by the StarTran dispatcher.
A cancellation is late if it is reported 60 minutes or less prior to the scheduled pick-up time.
Progressive Point-based Process
Based on the point system, all late cancellations count as one point and all no-shows count as two points. The table below outlines various point levels and the resulting steps that will be taken by StarTran.
||A formal letter documenting your late cancellations and/or no-shows.
||Customer is unable to use Paratransit services for 7 days.
||Customer is unable to use Paratransit services for 14 days.
||Customer is unable to use Paratransit services for 21 days. A phone interview with the Paratransit supervisor will be required to review individual service needs.
||Customer is unable to use Paratransit services for 30 days. A phone interview with the Paratransit supervisor will be required to review individual service needs.
The return portion of a no-show at the door will automatically be cancelled. All points will be on a passenger’s record for a one year period. Trips for medical appointments during suspension will be reviewed and are at the discretion of the Paratransit Supervisor.
If you no-show or late cancel because of circumstances beyond your control, please call 402-441-7110 to explain the circumstance, and request the review and/or removal of the no-show or late cancellation. Prior to sending a suspension letter, StarTran will review all no-shows and late cancellations to ensure that the process was followed properly and an accurate count is represented. Any no-show or late cancellation that is found to be in error will be removed from the customer’s account.
If you disagree with the no-show and or late cancellation suspension. Please call StarTran at 402-441-7110 upon receipt of your letter. StarTran will not take away or stop providing rides to you without advance notification of a service suspension.
StarTran may refuse service to ADA eligible individuals who engage in violent, seriously disruptive, or illegal conduct.
Pursuant to the U.S. Department of Transportation regulations implementing ADA complementary paratransit requirements (USC 49 Part 37 Subpart F, Section 37.125) certified customers have the right to appeal suspension of service for any reason.
If you disagree with a suspension, contact the League of Human Dignity, Inc. at 402-441-7871.
Complementary paratransit service is provided only within the city limits of Lincoln. People living outside the City of Lincoln who are certified as eligible must travel to within the city limits of Lincoln to use StarTran Paratransit services.
Out of Town Travel
Upon returning to Lincoln from out of town please call 402-441-7109 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. for a pick-up from either the bus terminal or the airport.
Visitors to Lincoln
Your Paratransit certification will allow you to ride any complementary paratransit system nationwide for up to 21 calendar days within a 365 day period. If you plan to be in an area for more than 21 days you must apply to use the local service. Check with the local transit provider to schedule service.
If you are a visitor to Lincoln you should contact the League of Human Dignity at 402-441-7871 well in advance of travel and provide a copy of your complementary paratransit identification card.
If you need this information in an alternate format please call 402-441-7110.
For a lost identification card call 402-441-7871.
Following the safety regulations listed below will ensure your safety and the safety of others.
- Drivers are not required to pull any wheelchair up more than one step.
- All wheelchairs and scooters should face outward when using the lift. This will prevent the chair or scooter from tipping or falling off the lift. Passengers are expected to follow the instructions of the driver when boarding the bus.
- The definition of “common wheelchair” has been removed from the ADA. A wheelchair now means a mobility aid belonging to any class of three- or more wheeled devices, usable indoors, designed or modified for and used by individuals with mobility impairments, whether operated manually or powered.
- Paratransit vehicles do not provide a child safety seat. If you are traveling with a child you are required to provide and secure your own car seat.
- Electric batteries and oxygen tanks must be secured during the ride.
- All mobility devices must be secured in the Paratransit vehicle using the current securement system. Refusal to allow your mobility device to be secured could result in the denial of your scheduled trip. Safety belts must be worn at all times when riding Paratransit. Passengers are not to release wheelchair belts. Upon arrival at your destination, the driver will release them and assist you off the van.
- Customers are permitted to bring packages on board the vehicle but they should be limited in size and number that can be stored safely under the seat or on your lap and the lap of your PCA and companions. Packages may not block the aisles. Drivers are not required to assist passengers with packages, clothing, groceries or mobility aids. Passengers who need assistance should plan to take a companion.
- Service animals are permitted on the vehicle. Non-service animals are allowed on Paratransit only if in a pet carrier.
- As is the case on fixed route, there is no smoking, eating, drinking or radio playing permitted on the vehicle.
- StarTran snow policy requires that sidewalks, step, driveways and wheelchair ramps must be cleared of ice and snow. If snow and ice develops through the day, riders are encouraged to call the dispatcher to schedule an earlier pick-up. During inclement weather, the determination of any unsafe conditions due to snow or ice will be left to the discretion of the operator. If there is a disagreement with the operator’s decision, please call the dispatcher and a supervisor will be sent to your home. The supervisor’s decision will be final.
PDF Version(PDF, 356KB)