Veterans Memorial Garden
A visit to this site will take you on a walking tour of more than twenty military monuments. A place of solemn beauty, the garden is an ideal setting for peaceful reflection, and serves as a permanent reminder of the sacrifices veterans have made to preserve our freedom. The Veterans Memorial Garden is located within Lincoln's historic Antelope Park at 3200 Veteran’s Memorial Drive.
During the first week of June 1989, more than 80,000 people gathered in the Antelope Park to view the traveling Vietnam Veteran Memorial Wall. The area where the “Wall” was located, originally a ball field, became sacred ground for many people and was forever changed.
In the 1990s, the Persian Gulf War led to a new wave of pride and patriotism. Communities, states, and the nation as a whole, banded together to recognize and honor not only veterans of that time, but also service members of all eras and branches. Through efforts of the Lincoln community, the area was officially named the “Veteran’s Memorial Garden.”
The Veteran’s Memorial Garden Advisory Council was formed to recommend policy on issues relating to the development, design, programming and preservation of the Garden area and all memorials contained in the garden. The Advisory Council is comprised of mayoral-appointed members who are committed to creating a place and promoting events to honor all veterans (both past and present) and their families.
Through the Advisory Council, an endowment account has been established to help maintain the garden.
2022 Calendar of Events
Memorial Day: Monday, May 30 evening ceremony; Veterans Memorial Garden
- Music will begin at 7:30pm. The program will began at 8pm.
- In the event of inclement weather, the program will take place in the Auld Pavilion.
Bricks of Honor Dedication: Saturday, June 11 at 10 am; Veterans Memorial Garden
Patriot Day Sunday, September 11; morning ceremony; Veterans Memorial Garden
Veterans Day Parade (organized by Lincoln Veterans Parade Group/Veterans Day Parade Committee), November 13, 2022/2pm (lincolnveteransparade.org)
Veterans Day Friday, November 11 at 11am in Auld Pavilion
Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, Wednesday, December 7 at 11:55 am in Auld Pavilion
2021 Calendar of Events
Veterans Day and Pearl Harbor Day events are held in Auld Pavilion. Memorial Day, Bricks of Honor, and Patriot Day events are held in the Garden unless weather dictates they be moved to Auld Pavilion. You are encouraged to bring your own lawn chairs, although limited bench seating may be available.
- Monday, May 31, evening ceremony
- Veterans Memorial Garden
Bricks of Honor Annual Dedication
- Saturday, September 11
- Time: Approximately 10:00 a.m. (30 minutes after conclusion of State Capitol event)
- Veterans Memorial Garden
Veteran’s Day Parade
- Ceremony will be pre-recorded. The program will air on Thursday, November 11 at noon and 6 p.m. on November 11 on LNKTV, the City government access channel. LNKTV is available on Allo channels 2 and 3, Spectrum channels 1300 and 1301, and Kinetic channels 1005 and 1010. The ceremony will also be available on demand at LNKTV.lincoln.ne.gov and YouTube.com/LNKTVcity. In addition, LNKTV apps are available on Roku, Apple TV, and Amazon Fire TV.
The program will include remarks by Army Brigadier General Kevin Lyons, who serves as the Assistant Adjutant General-Army for the Nebraska Army National Guard. Presentation of the Colors will be conducted the Nebraska Army and Air National Guard Color Guard. Laura Keller and Lynn Hartzell will be the featured musicians. Kirstie Engel, a Spiritual Leader with First United Methodist Church, will deliver the invocation and benediction.
- The 23rd annual Veterans Walk of Recognition is also planned for November 11. The walk will begin at 9:30 a.m. at the southwest corner of Memorial Stadium and conclude at the Veterans Memorial Garden, 3200 Memorial Drive in Antelope Park. Flags will also be placed in the garden to commemorate Veterans Day. The Veterans Memorial Garden is open from 5:00am-11:00pm, including Veterans Day.
Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day
- Pre-recorded program will air at noon and 6 p.m. on Pearl Harbor Day, Tuesday, December 7 on LNKTV, the City’s government access channel. The program will also be available on ALLO channel 2, Spectrum channel 1300, and Kinetic channel 1005, and on demand at LNKTV.lincoln.ne.gov and YouTube.com/LNKTVcity. The program will also be shared on the Parks and Recreation Department Facebook page.
Bricks of Honor
"Brick of Honor" is available for all veterans, living or deceased, who received an Honorable or General Discharge. Bricks for Veterans organizations and Auxiliary organizations will also be accepted. All proceeds from brick sales go to improvements to and maintenance of the Veteran’s Memorial Garden.
To order a Brick of Honor, visit or contact the Lincoln Parks Foundation at (402) 441-8258.
Lincoln Parks Foundation: Veterans Memorial Garden
Wedding Reservation Information
Rental Period: 3 hours
Rental Fee: $120.00, Additional hour: $40.00
Key Deposit: $0.00
Wedding Reservation Application
Admission is free, donations are accepted.
Parking is available north and south of the garden.
For everyone’s enjoyment of the garden, please:
- Do not pick the flowers
- Attend to children at all times
- Stay on the paths and lawn areas
- Leash your dog; pick up and dispose of pet waste
- Walk your bicycle
- No skateboards or roller blades
Lincoln's parks and public gardens have provided beautiful backdrops for generations of family photos. When you or your photographer are taking pictures, we ask that you be mindful of, and minimize disruption to, other park users and garden visitors. Please also take care to avoid damaging any flowers, plantings, turf, or park property.
If your photo shoot is large and/or it could disrupt normal park or public garden operations, you make need to seek a Special Use Permit. If fees for photography services are collected on site, a Permit to Conduct Business may be required. Wedding reservations are available at our wedding designated sites. Please contact 402-441-7847, Ext. 0, or email firstname.lastname@example.org, for additional information regarding both Special Use Permit and wedding reservations.
Thank you and enjoy those beautiful pictures!
Monuments and Memorials
More than 20 memorials stand in the Garden today including Airborne, All Airmen, American Merchant Marine, China Burma India, Disabled American Veterans, Doolittle Raiders, Ex-Prisoners of War, K-9 Unsung, Korea, Marine Corps, Military Medical, Pearl Harbor, Pre 1900, Post 9-11, Purple Heart, Seabees, Special Forces, Tuskegee Airmen, Buffalo Soldiers, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Navy Armed Guard, Vietnam, Women’s Veterans, World War I, World War II, and 551st Strategic Missile Squadron.
Many events are held at the Veteran’s Memorial Garden recognizing special days like Memorial Day, Patriot Day, Veteran’s Day and Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day. On these and other holidays, flags are flying in commemoration.
An annual dedication of newly placed bricks is held on the second Saturday in June at 10:00 AM to dedicate all new “Bricks of Honor” in the garden.
View Memorials and Monuments
3200 Veterans Memorial Dr, Lincoln 68502 View Map