Alarm RegistrationThis is not the ordinance in its entirety; please refer to actual ordinance for specific information.
Who needs to register for a permit?
- Any business that monitors alarms (5.56.010)
- Defined as: any business which engages in the activity of altering, installing, leasing, maintaining, repairing, replacing, servicing, testing, monitoring, or responding to an emergency alarm system, or which causes any of these activities to take place within the city jurisdiction.
- All alarm users (5.56.010)
- Defined as: any person, firm, partnership, association, corporation, company or organization of any kind which uses or is in control of an alarm system at an alarm site regardless of whether it owns or leases the system.
When must they register?
- New users must register within 60 days of installation. (5.56.030)
- New alarm businesses must register prior to operating the alarm business. (5.56.025)
How do they register?
- Register online through the City Treasurer's Office
- A help-line has also been established: (402) 441-5661 or email: AlarmReg@lincoln.ne.gov.
- Once registered, users will be issued a logon and password, so they may check their account at any time.
How much will a permit cost?(5.56.025 & 5.56.030)
- Alarm business: $100 non-refundable fee
- Commercial alarm user: $40 non-refundable fee
- Residential alarm user: $25 non-refundable fee
How often is registration?(5.56.025 & 5.56.030)
- All alarm businesses and users must renew their application annually.
Is there a new alarm grace period?(5.56.040)
- During the first sixty days following installation, any alarm signals reported during that period shall not be considered a false alarm against the alarm user.
When are fees assessed for false alarms?(5.56.050)
- One through three false alarms during the permit term . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $0.00
- Four through eight false alarms during the permit term . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $100.00
- Each false alarm exceeding eight during the permit term . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . $250.00
How is alarm system defined?(5.56.010)
Any device used to detect or prevent intrusion, criminal activity or other such emergency situations which, when activated, causes notification to be made directly or indirectly to the Lincoln Police Department, or any device or system designed primarily for the purpose of giving an audible or visual signal of an attempted intrusion, criminal activity or other such emergency.
An alarm system shall not include:
- An alarm installed on a motor vehicle.
- An alarm installed upon premises occupied by the City or any public agency as defined in Nebraska Revised Statute 13-803.
- Any device or system designed solely to detect or give notice of fire or smoke.
What if an alarm business or alarm user just decides not to register?(5.56.080)
- Failure to obtain a permit is a civil penalty of $100 for each false alarm.
- In addition, the Chief of Police may suspend, revoke, or deny an application for a required permit if an alarm business or alarm user:
Fails to provide any information required;
Provides any false or incorrect information required; or
Violates any provision of the Emergency Alarm System chapter.